Default Player Type (Human or AI)

BeornTheBold
If this already exists, I have not been able to find it.
Currently, when launching a game, all players are defaulted as human.  Is there any way to have them default instead to one of the AI types (Easy-AI, Medium-AI, Hard-AI)?  It's especially a pain testing (or playing single player) a map that has a lot of countries available to play.  One must click through every country changing the "human" to an AI selection, leaving only the one you desire to play.

Re: Default Player Type (Human or AI)

Re: Default Player Type (Human or AI)

Yeah, this is still on my radar to improve. Probably should create a github issue based on that old thread.

Re: Default Player Type (Human or AI)

BeornTheBold
Thanks for the pointer to the older thread.  I'm new to this site, having found it about a month ago.  I'm making a map with 60 playable countries so it is quite a pain to click through them all to change the human/ai setting.

I'm not familiar with java but I can get along in xml.

Re: Default Player Type (Human or AI)

Zim Xero
Seems like the whole problem and debate are fixable by having human as default, but allowing the map properties file to specify an AI to over-ride the default for any given nation.  This does away with the Germany_AI method of naming nations... and having to debate what AI should be the default AI.

In almost every map we want the main AI opponent to be the best available.   Using a fast Easy-like AI  dramatically speeds up between turn waits and could be made default for peripheral small factions by a map maker.  The nice thing is that a frequent player could edit their own map properties file to customize their setup.

Re: Default Player Type (Human or AI)

@Zim Xero - Partially. There are many maps that are meant for single and multiplayer that have 10+ nations. Most likely they will default to human since most mapmakers gear maps towards multiplayer but it would be nice to have a button to switch all to AI or all to human on the interface in additional to what you describe.

Re: Default Player Type (Human or AI)

AI settings should not stay inside the map.properties, and preferably not inside the xml, either.

For example, changing mapskins (which also changes the referring map.properties) is functional to changing visual; would make no sense it potentially changing AI settings.

Either an AI.properties or, better, something staying totally out of the map folder, in a properties you autodownload when you download the map.

Exception is if the setting is very generic, like being AI or being Human, without specifying what AI (like the current "AI" or "Neutral" start name do), then it can stay inside the xml.

For now, whatever outside of the xml is totally something display related only (a skin); I would not add AI related stuff to it at all, also because changing skin should not be feasible to be used to change AI settings (would be silly and confusing).

If an AI.properties inside the folder, then definitively the game should always refer to the AI.properties inside the original folder, no matter if you are using another skin.

But, generally speaking, it feels wrong to me sharing a same thing (the map folder) to do both display and AI stuff; I would keep it 100% display focused, as it is now.

So, I think the best would be an AI.properties outside of the map's folder, but inside the downloadedMaps folder. Also being able to define those same settings inside the TripleA installation would be cool. Practically, it would look at the "info_name-AI.properties" inside downloadedMaps, if absent it looks at the settings in the AI.properties in the main installation, if absent uses default.

Definitively one possible setting should be cutting down the quantity of calculations that HardAI does, so to have the game both faster and less predictable.

(notice that I said "info name", not "mapName", as the AI settings should refer to the specific game, not to all games referring to some map folder; another point in favour of the AI.properties being out of the map folder is that you should be able to set them also when making a mod, without having to make changes to the referring map folder)
History plays dice