Cybertank is running

OgreMkV
It's not ready to be published, there's a lot of unit tweaking to be done.  The map is NOT pretty, but it's totally functional.

Here's a screen shot to wet your appetite a little.

Re: Cybertank is running

eurofabio
Looks great!!

How many players?

Re: Cybertank is running

OgreMkV
Currently 4.

I had originally planned to let NorAm (green) be the only player with cybertanks, but within the current rules I couldn't make them powerful enough to justify the cost.  They still exist, but I took superheavy units out.

The first two/three rounds are pretty calm, but after that, things get pretty wild.

Still have unit cost and player balance issues.  Still working on it.  I'm not sure about the multi-human player balance as I only have AIs to play against.

Cybertank public Beta

OgreMkV
My first TripleA game is mostly ready.

It’s call cybertank.  Loosely based on a variety of AI driven super tank games and books.  There are few things I can’t yet do using the TripleA engine… and my map isn’t pretty, but it’s an interesting game.

It’s actually surprising how tight things can get, even given the rather large production and lots of units running around.

Here’s the download file.  Cybertank.zip

A few notes.

As I said, the graphics are not the best.  That’s on the book for upgrading… at least to color code the units rather than every countries units being black, with a flag under them.

The AI is not very good at this.  But I have not played multiplayer yet, beyond myself at least.  It appears that in the early game NorAm has a big disadvantage, both in vulnerable victory locations and low unit count.  Expert players should take NorAm.

Europe has a distinct advantage mid game, there’s only one land route to attack it, and the country is huge.  Weaker players may want to start there.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Re: Cybertank public Beta

OgreMkV
Version 1.6:

Changes
Cybertanks should now repair in factories.
Victory conditions should now work and are set at 19, though this should be editable.

Thanks.

Re: Cybertank public Beta

OgreMkV
OK, I was wrong, cybertanks do not repair and the vicotry conditions do not fire.  sigh... back to the drawing board.

Re: Cybertank is running

OgreMkV
Newest...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29445920/Cybertank.zip

OK, cybertanks now DO repair at factory locations.

Does anyone know how to make victory by victory point locations work?  I copied everything from Big World, which is the only game I have ever seen actually display a victory message and it still isn't working.

Thanks

Re: Cybertank is running

Rolf Larsson
I have just taken a look at your map and it seems to work fine. I can upload it soon, but there are a few things:
- please remove 4th Edition, Anniversary Edition, Pacific Edition etc from your global properties in the game xml. They have no function and get directly associated with Axis and Allies, which is something we want to avoid, even in maps hosted somewhere else.
- maybe you want have a nice description for your map like: Cybertank is inspired by blablabla,... it is a 4 Players FFA map... it uses blablabal units etc.
- flags look really ugly, maybe you want to use better images here?
- anything you still want to do before map goes to repository? Do it now.
Please edit your post in upload request thread and make a post in this thread when finished. New maps will go to experimental section, although it looks very solid. Often some territory connection problems remain etc.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Cybertank is running

OgreMkV
Rolf,

Thanks.  I removed the edition rules.  I added a bit to the description in the .xml.

As far as the flags and units go, I'm not much of a graphic artist.  I'm not real happy with them, but I'm at the limit of my ability.  Maybe I can work on that for a new version with map graphics as well as units and flags.

I'm pretty sure everything is solid.  I've been playtesting for about 3 weeks now.

The link has the updated version as of now.

Thanks
Kevin

Re: Cybertank is running

Rolf Larsson
Map uploaded, sorry took a while, had some problems there.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Cybertank is running

OgreMkV
Heh... I actually lost a game last night.  I was up to 40 turns.

It was my own fault, I saw too many good opportunities for flank attacks and ended up not being able to support any of them.

Re: Cybertank is running

I really like this game.  Lots of potential for spinoff.  Its style reminded me of the old DOS wargames.  I played till I crushed the last capitol... about 40 turns, but it was pretty much end-game by turn 20.  There were no errors.  Skipping non-combat move seemed to get repetitive... but if you removed it the AI would not move non-combat in their combat turn like I did.

Things that might improve it:
1) give the victory cities and capitols distinct names to help player know where the attack is occuring in the combat window --- NorAm-1107 doesn't let a player know its the capital when reading data.

2) IMO the Missle Tank should have a movement of 3 like the other tanks.  It is definitely the worst unit value at move=2

3) Cybertank MK1 needs to be either repairable or cheaper.  Repairable would be pretty cool though, even if you had to increase its price to avoid stack effect from ruining the gameplay.

4) Its too bad there is no way to make the Zones of Control affect unit movement... like infantry and hovertanks, which it doesn't becuase every unit has blitz.

5) Just an Idea:  maybe a bonus could be generated for every X territories controlled... to give an advantage to backtracking-sidetracking in order to control hexes.  EXAMPLE:)for every 40 territories controlled, player purchases one free Mine.  Mine stats: attack=0, defense=2, move=0.  When attacked, Mine rolls D6 versus all tanks and hits on a 1, like AA guns.  The mine would be infrastructure placeable anywhere with a stack limit of one per hex.

I'm hoping you are going to create another alternate map using the same system as Cybertank

Re: Cybertank is running

hepster
I just played my first game.  I think the suggestions Zim makes are good.

The game plays well.  With a little refinement to the graphics this could be a very enjoyable quick game.

I love the fact that its a hex based map.  I was very excited that somebody finally made a game based on a hex board.  I think this will lead to more in the future.

Re: Cybertank is running

OgreMkV
Thanks guys.  I'm very pleased that you like it.

If you put a cybertank in a city with a factory, then it will be repaired on the beginning of the next turn.  :)

I agree that the missile tank is weak.  It's not the unit I wanted to create, but I didn't like how the battle of Jutland ended up and couldn't figure out a reloading system.  One game, I used missile tanks and infantry almost exclusively, but gave it up after about 40 turns.  They are slow.  The infantry/hovertank combination is used by MooreNAble occasionally.  It's a pain because of all the defense dice that combo gets.

I think the sub is pretty useless too.  Except for the fact that it is easier to win when you do some amphib invasions of unprotected cities (especially Europe and Russia).  I've never even bother to go after NorAm's island though.

I know people who are graphic artists, but I'm not much of one.  My wife has an MFA, but it's classical art, not graphic design.  Maybe I'll commission something for the future or maybe I'll play with paint.net more.

Like I said, it's not exactly what I wanted, but it's pretty close I think.

Let me ask, do you think the hexes are too large or too small?  I'm torn, I'd prefer smaller hexes, but they would get awfully crowded quickly.  I think I could definitely cook up some better graphics for the map, even if it's just mountains, fields, and cities.

I can't figure out how to get rid of the giant "V".

Unfortunately, I'm in the weeds with work right now and almost all my personal projects are on hold until the end of March or so.

I will be doing more... eventually.

Re: Cybertank is running

Zim Xero
maybe if you took anti-sub away from cruisers, since destroyers already have it... then subs would see occasional use.  As far as another map, i didn't mean better graphics... just a different geography.  I like your hex size exactly how it is, personally.  Here is a VC image without the V.  To make it work just create a misc folder in your main Cybertank folder with the following graphic and call it vc