Concept: Abstraction

Pulicat
Are you interested in a map using the 4th dimension??? Armies vanishing and re-appearing elsewhere? Enemy bombers suddenly appearing from behind your front lines to harrass your rearguard?

Recently I've come up with a hypothetical map design using a concept I call "Abstraction." The concept can be applied to any pre-existing map, so for the purposes of explanation I will use the v4 map.

What you do is take a map (the v4 in this case) and make a bigger new map consisting of 4 identical copies of the old map pieced together.

Inside each copy of the old map, all pre-existing connections still exist, but in addition, all territories are connected to their counterparts in the other copies of the map. In other words, there are 4 separate maps in play, but each is connected to each other through corresponding territories.

One way to visualize it so that it make sense is to imagine the 4 maps as spatially stacked on top on one another in a series of alternate planes of existence. In other words, an infantry in Germany-1 may not only move to Western Europe-1, but also to alternate dimensions: Germany-2, Germany-3, and Germany-4 (costs 1 movement point each).

While I am not going to make an Abstraction map now, I just want to share the idea with you and see the community's comments to this bizarre concept.

Regards,
Puli
how now brown cow?

Re: Concept: Abstraction

hepster
It'd be really cool if you could manage this as a way to do fog of war.  Have the first layer as the common map for all game players and then have each of the subsequent layers for each alliance and make it so that you have the border territories as visible on the first layer.  You could make it so only certain units could move to the oppositions layer (ie. scouts, spies, recon fighters...)  to see what opponents have behind enemy lines.  You could negate the movement cost of moving between layers and make it a automatic shift up(to the common map) for all units whenever they move into a border territory.  Probably not doable,  but would be interesting if it is a manageable way to create the fog of war.

Very abstract.

Re: Concept: Abstraction

i like it puli

however, it might be a good idea to first try it with just 2 dimensions,

so have two of the board game instead of four

it would certainly be easier to keep track of than 4 levels,

i fear the only problem will be navigating between the boards... as you will have to scroll there every time you want to move between boards

Re: Concept: Abstraction

Ajmdemen
Is certainly an intersting concept, but I think it would get clumsy with 4 "parallel universes", but with just 2 it might make for an interesting map I reckon...

Re: Concept: Abstraction

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Klingon Warbird, here we come!