Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Conarymor

Note: This is a new version of my Cold War: 1965 map that began in the following forum [LINK]. I realize that I let this project go dormant and plan to follow up with this new version. All feedback is welcome and needed. I also plan to pull forward the input from the previous thread to which I never responded. Thanks for your patience. ~ Dave

Cold War: 1965
Scenario and Map design by Dave Ball

I designed this map to be a global view of the Cold War during a period of great uncertainty. The 1960s saw the Berlin Wall go up, Cuban Missile Crisis, the Sino-Soviet split, the Vietnam War, the Six Days War, the continued stand-off between the Koreas, tension between India and Pakistan, the end of European Colonialism (and the collapse of many successor states), and of course, the proliferation of nuclear arms. This was a tense period in our history, in which any number of small conflicts could have escalated quickly into WWIII.

Soviet Navy off the Turkish Coast US Navy in the Pacific Cuba and Guantanamo Naval Base

Scenario Details:
For the map, I started with a Mercator projection for the base and began modifying from there. I wanted to feature as many of the players as feasible without slowing down game play. I did a lot of research to try to determine political alignments in 1965. This helped me create the alliances.

Players/Alliances:
US Alliance   Soviet Alliance   Sino Alliance
United States   USSR   China
NATO   Warsaw Pact   Sino Pact
SEATO   Arab League

As to teams, there are three alliances: USA, USSR, and China. The players for each are, USA: United States, NATO and SEATO; USSR: USSR, Warsaw Pact, Arab League; and China: China, Sino Pact. I gave the two super power alliances three players each. The United States is allied with NATO and SEATO. The Soviet Union is allied with the Warsaw Pact and the Arab League. For China, I create the Sino Pact in order to give them an Ally. They consist of Southeast Asian countries which China supported or had relations.

For the neutrals, I created four groups. One is the non-aligned neutral countries, which are per traditional TripleA scenarios. I also created three additional players, intended to be run by the AI but have no turn. The one difference is that they are aligned with one of the other alliances. This allows the US, Soviets and China to occupy them without a fight and even help defend them.

Unit List:
SAM AA Factory Infantry Marine Truck Artillery Tank
0/0/1 Cost:10 0/0/0 Cost:24 1/2/1 Cost:3 2/2/1 Cost:5 0/0/2 Cost:5 2/2/1 Cost:5 3/2/2 Cost:7
Carry 1 Infantry Support 2 inf Can blitz

Helicopter Fighter Fighter Bomber Cargo Plane ICBM Nuclear Bomber
2/3/3 Cost:8 3/3/4 Cost:12 4/1/4 Cost:15 0/0/6 Cost:8 5/1/99 Cost: 75 2/1/10 Cost: 40
Support 2 inf
Carry 1 Marine
Carry 2 Marines attack: 10 dice
one use
attack: 10 dice

Transport Submarine Destroyer Cruiser Battleship Carrier
0/0/2 Cost:10 2/1/2 Cost:14 2/2/2 Cost:18 3/3/2 Cost:22 4/4/2 Cost:40 0/3/3 Cost:32
2-hit 2-hit; cap 3

For unit pricing, this version of the scenario uses standardized pricing for all players. In a future version, I may modify that. However, I made infantry cheaper and hardware more expensive. My thought was to give poorer nations, such as China, the ability to mass infantry with limited mechanized or air support, as would have been the case during the 1960s.

I am looking for help with testing and gathering feedback. This map is still in beta and requires much more testing and refining. All help is appreciated!

  1. Bugs or Design Flaws: Errors and anything that doesn't work right, like missing territory connections.
  2. Usability: I really struggled with this map given the small size of some crucial territories that I did not want to combine. Also, unit placement and unit color for adequate contrast.
  3. Units Power and Price: I am completely open to revising units, regarding their attack and defense, stats, price and initial distribution.
  4. Game Balance: I think this is where I need the most help. I gave the US a lead in TUV with the expectation that the Soviet preemptive strike will do some significant damage. Is it enough or too much? How does China having first move upset this balance?

Download:
Direct Download: http://triplea.ballcgi.com/download/ColdWar-1965.zip

TripleA Download: http://triplea.ballcgi.com/download/ColdWar-1965-setup.xml

To download the map directly using Triple, click the Download Maps button and copy and paste the URL above into the field labeled Select Download Site.

Current version: Beta 1.0.1
TripleA version: 1.6.x

Dave Ball

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

do you have a list of changes from the 0.7 version?

also, I humbly request that you make a second version where there are only 2 sides to the conflict (only 2 alliances)

the reason being that people who are playing this online are complaining a lot about china and about the fact that there is no way to balance it for a 1v1 game

perhaps for this second version, just make all the chinese units completely immobile, so that they can never move or attack (but they still get to defend)

or just disallow movement into those asian territories....

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Conarymor
Veqryn... The changes were the addition of new units (ICBM, Truck, and Cargo Plane), and an update to the latest game build.  I do see your point regarding the Sino Alliance as a player.  I had always hoped a 3rd element would make for more interesting game play.  One simple change might be to remove the Sino combat move so they could not attack or take territory.  The could still purchase and perform non-combat moves making their defense stronger as the game progresses.
Dave Ball

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Comrade
I'm glad this map is still being updated.

Although I've never actually played the map because of an error (See my thread), from what I've heard, the people that have played think that China is overpowered.....

I think Veqryn ideas would probably help.

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Hi Conarymor, congratulations on a cool concept.

I will definitely try your updated version.  I have played several times and found several things that could improve the games playability.

1) It seems far to easy to eliminate NATO from the game.  I understand the balance issue, but the fact that NATO falls and then has no ability to utilize its holdings to produce units makes for a very limiting game since all the remaining territories become a huge liability for the United States.  I would suggest including a secondary capital for NATO in Canada.  This would greatly enhance the game.

2)  I agree with the above that China presents a real issue to the game.  Of course there are several options to resolving this.

I look forward to re-trying your new version.

P.S. If you go on the lobby and chat with Champ73, he is probably the greatest resource at your disposal.  I'm almost certain he has more experience with this game than all other players combined.

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Conarymor
Okay... point well made and taken.  I have just uploaded version 1.0.2 to my server.  In this version, China and Sino Pact are still AI players, but they have no combat move phase.  As such, they will become more formidable defensively as the game progresses, but never attack.

As to the NATO issue, I will try to balance that out in my next update.

Thanks!
Dave Ball

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

eurofabio
Paraguay and Bolivia are inverted. Would be nice fix this.

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Comrade
I've downloaded the 1.0.2 version, it still doesn't work.....

All i get is a message saying 'Error reading PNG metadata' and this error here:

triplea.engine.version.bin:1.6.1.2
java.io.EOFException
        at javax.imageio.stream.ImageInputStreamImpl.readFully(ImageInputStreamImpl.java:330)
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(DataInputStream.java:565)
        at javax.imageio.stream.ImageInputStreamImpl.readUTF(ImageInputStreamImpl.java:309)
        at com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.parse_iTXt_chunk(PNGImageReader.java:443)
        at com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.readMetadata(PNGImageReader.java:652)
        at com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.readImage(PNGImageReader.java:1314)
        at com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.read(PNGImageReader.java:1601)
        at javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(ImageIO.java:1400)
        at javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(ImageIO.java:1364)
        at games.strategy.triplea.image.ImageFactory.getImage(ImageFactory.java:51)
        at games.strategy.triplea.image.ImageFactory.getImage(ImageFactory.java:31)
        at games.strategy.triplea.image.FlagIconImageFactory.getSmallFlag(FlagIconImageFactory.java:54)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.CommentPanel.createComponents(CommentPanel.java:123)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.CommentPanel.init(CommentPanel.java:84)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.CommentPanel.<init>(CommentPanel.java:79)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.TripleAFrame.<init>(TripleAFrame.java:235)
        at games.strategy.triplea.TripleA$1.run(TripleA.java:140)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:199)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
javax.imageio.IIOException: Error reading PNG metadata
        at com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.readMetadata(PNGImageReader.java:695)
[...]
Caused by: java.io.EOFException
        at javax.imageio.stream.ImageInputStreamImpl.readFully(ImageInputStreamImpl.java:330)
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(DataInputStream.java:565)
        at javax.imageio.stream.ImageInputStreamImpl.readUTF(ImageInputStreamImpl.java:309)
        at com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.parse_iTXt_chunk(PNGImageReader.java:443)
        at com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.readMetadata(PNGImageReader.java:652)
        ... 19 more

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

soverign
I like that you have begun working on this map again. It is one of my favorites. I have some feedback for it.

-Why is the battleship included in this scenario? Guided missiles made them obsolete. The battleship could be removed and the frigate added.

-The United States could be split up into a few more territories. Divide the Midwest into two territories (split on the UP of Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee) and the Southwest (split at the Arizona/New Mexico state line).

-The Soviet Union has more income than the United States. The US's economy was more than double that of the Soviet Union at that time and seems off the Soviets can out produce the US.

That's all for now.

Comrade... Can you check and tell which build of Triple A you are using?
Dave Ball

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Conarymor
New version: 1.0.3

Changes:
- Correct naming of Bolivia and Paraguay
- Bolster NATO forces in West Europe to balance game against Soviet/Warsaw Pact sweep of Europe

New version is on my server and ready for download:

Direct Download: http://triplea.ballcgi.com/download/ColdWar-1965.zip

TripleA Download: http://triplea.ballcgi.com/download/ColdWar-1965-setup.xml

Dave Ball

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

comrade, make sure you have deleted the old versions you had, then go redownload this new version of his map

also, I would suggest taking these two lines and googling them:

javax.imageio.IIOException: Error reading PNG metadata

and

java.io.EOFException at javax.imageio.stream.ImageInputStreamImpl.readFully

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Conarymor
Veqryn...  Is the line to require minimum Triple A version work in 1.6?  From your post on this topic, I tried adding it, but it kept throwing an error.  Do you have a code example of where the line is supposed to reside?
Dave Ball

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Dima
1 of the best maps in TripleA , but it needs a lot of changes :) nice to see your interest bk in this fine map:)
Why stay and die, when you can retreat and fight a other day when the odds are favorable to you?

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<!DOCTYPE game SYSTEM "game.dtd">

<game>
                <info name="Pact of Steel 2" version="3.6"/>

                <loader javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.TripleA"/>

                <triplea minimumVersion="1.6.1"/>

                <diceSides value="6"/>

                <map>

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Comrade
I am using Triple A 1.6.1.2, is thats what you are asking.....

@Verqrn I copy & pasted the triple a version of the map and put it into 'List Games', there I download the 1.0.2 version of the map. I went out of Triple A, then Opened it again. I then refreshed the map, and tried to play the map, then I received the same message I have always gotten from this map.....

I am sorry if I'm acting like a noob asking for all this help, but this is starting to aggravate me.

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Conarymor
This post was updated on .
Try this instead... download the following zip file: http://triplea.ballcgi.com/download/ColdWar-1965.zip Using Windows Explorer (i.e.: Computer or My Computer), open the following location. User name will be your profile name. C:\Users\[user name]\triplea\maps Look for a the file of the same name... ColdWar-1965.zip. Delete it. Then move the new version that you downloaded into the same location. Now, open Triple A and start a local game using the ColdWar-1965 map. Not sure if this will make a difference, but it is worth a try. One other thing... do you have problems with any other maps? If so, which ones? Also, what Java version are you running?
Dave Ball

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Conarymor
Thanks Soverign.  In regards to your feedback...

  - I included battleships as they were still in use in 1965, though there influence was waning.  I added in the cruiser, with the thought of it being a missile cruiser.  Perhaps I can bolster the attack to make it able to better able hit a battleship.

  - I might consider splitting the US into more divisions at a later time.  I don't have a problem with that idea, but it is a lot of work to alter the map geography.

  - I can modify the Soviet/US income position some.  When putting this together, I was looking at the overall income of the US and Soviet alliances, rather than the individual nations.  Modifying the US income might help balance out the NATO disadvantage against Soviet first strike.
Dave Ball

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Conarymor
Thanks Veqryn... I have added the Triple version requirement.  Another questions... is it possible to, with Tech enabled and assigned to Powers but no Tech research allowed, turn off the Technology grid on the UI on the stats tab?  In Cold War, it serves no real value and forces a vertical scroll to happen on the stats grid above it.

One other... is it possible to enable AA fire from a moving vehicle?  I wanted to fit the Cruiser with AA to protect against planes.  I added the isAA property to it, but it had no effect.
Dave Ball

Re: Cold War: 1965 [REVISED v1.0.1]

Conarymor
@Dima... Thank You!  If you have any ideas, please offer them up!