Cleanup Tools for Map Files

RogerCooper
I have been working with creating a map based upon the original Nova Games version of Axis & Allies.

I started with scanning the actual map and then using edge-detection. I was able to create an outline map but there are significant irregularities. Even when I smooth them out the polygon grabber fails.

Any suggestions on how to clean up the map. I suspect that it is desirable to have the boundaries be only 1 pixel, but I would rather avoid doing that by hand. Are they any tools within a graphics program I could use to narrow the line.

The full image follows:

Re: Cleanup Tools for Map Files

SantaClaus
It looks to me like your borders are kind of a mess in some places and may also might have some gray in them.
There are also a lot of random black pixels in the center of territories that are probably causing the map creator to fail.
What I would do is open your image in paint.net or gimp, create a new layer, and then using the pencil tool, copy over the image you have.

Re: Cleanup Tools for Map Files

someone used either gimp or Photoshop  to shrink my line borders from 8 to 1 pixel thick, in battle of Jutland
i do not know how though

Re: Cleanup Tools for Map Files

RogerCooper
I was able to cleanup the map by using Edge Detection and a Color Threshold in GIMP.

Re: Cleanup Tools for Map Files

Cleisthenis
I would suggest bringing that into the background of illustrator or some other vector based image editing software like GIMP and "tracing out" vector lines into a 2nd layer above that image. You really do need clean, consistent lines for the tools to work properly.