Civil War: A House Divided

Pulicat
I believe this is the first full-scale mod for the American Civil War -- and I'm certainly not going to hold back a bit!

It's gonna be full-blown, all-out, with all theaters of war, with all the battles! :D

Baseline and territory naming is done.

baseline.gif

Check out the full version, and the centers file. Load the centers and map to your centers picker if you want to see all the territories named:
sourceforge uploads

About the insets:
-Eastern Theater/Virginia inset located on lower right with location on main map indicated by grayed out box. I know people have complained about insets like in GW could be confusing, so I will take care to be as unconfusing as possible with the insets (for example, labelling very specifically what connects to what, with little arrows).
-American West inset lower left, to represent the Trans-Mississippi theater of the Civil war, the New Mexico campaigns and the Confederate Arizona. This is simply a continuation of the main map, but shrunken to conserve space.

About the colors:
-These colors simply contains information for me as I continue to make this map. Obviously the basetiles will be pure black and white.
-Gray territories are impassable mountains.
-Blue is the open ocean.
-Light blue territories are navigable river water zones, which are guarded/controlled like canals by river forts like Vicksburg and Donelson.
-Black lines are territory borders
-Light blue lines are territory borders based on minor rivers/streams/creeks that are not large enough to be navigable.

I have not yet decided what to do with the black territory borders versus the blue river borders. As I once discussed with Rod, it is not really map size that increases tactical complexity, its a variety of terrain types (impassable/water/land) that induces creative tactical thinking. I was thinking maybe making river crossings cost 2 moves while regular borders cost 1, I haven't fully thought this out yet. But I would like to experiment with increased "terrain" types. Already this is manifest in the "navigable rivers": Mississippi, Cumberland, Tennessee, Arkansas, Ohio, Red, Missouri. Troops need transport ships or construct pontoon bridges (immobile transports with large capacity) in order to cross, and with river passages controlled by river forts, this will induce players to think very creatively with lots of tactical options.

Cheers,
Pulicat

EDIT:

I forgot to add that pentagons represented river forts that controlled the river passages. Circles are just major cities.
how now brown cow?

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

Karl-591-2
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

Pulicat
Units update.

I didn't particularly like the Peninsula War units so I am making my own.

Regular and elite infantry (both sides):

Regular and elite cavalry:

Elite cavalry for the Union based on George Custer, for the Confederacy based on JEB Stuart.

Militia:

General Grant and Lee:

Union and Confederate ironclads, based off the Monitor and Merrimack:

Touched up Peninsula Campaign's train, added smoke:

Some units I will have to borrow from elsewhere. For example for artillery I am probably going to just touch up some Napoleonic Empires cannons since Civil War cannons were not much different.

Keep y'all posted,

Pulicat
how now brown cow?

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

the confed infantry kind of look..... mexican

other than that, I am incredibly impressed!

excluding the ironclads, there is a very certain look to these units.  I can't quite pin down what to call it, but they look kind of like toys or clay or something, neither plastic pieces like our current ww2 units, nor precise and sharp like nap empires.  i like it tho

good job man,
veq

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

U-boat
this map sure isn't small

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

Pulicat
Ok, so upon booting the game I encounter a bizarre error I am having difficulty interpreting.

Anybody can help me understand this?

java.util.NoSuchElementException
        at java.util.StringTokenizer.nextToken(StringTokenizer.java:332)
        at java.util.StringTokenizer.nextToken(StringTokenizer.java:360)
        at games.strategy.util.PointFileReaderWriter.readSingle(PointFileReaderWriter.java:115)
        at games.strategy.util.PointFileReaderWriter.readOneToOneCenters(PointFileReaderWriter.java:94)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.MapData.<init>(MapData.java:148)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.UIContext.internalSetMapDir(UIContext.java:194)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.UIContext.setDefaltMapDir(UIContext.java:162)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.TripleAFrame.<init>(TripleAFrame.java:196)
        at games.strategy.triplea.TripleA$1.run(TripleA.java:150)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:199)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

Pulicat
how now brown cow?

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

do you have two centers with the same name?

what did you change most recently before you got this error?

have you tried commenting things out?

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

Pulicat
Thanks for the suggestions, but I found the problem.

There was a blank in the centers file like ( , )

From my experience, if it is a problem with the XML, the error comes up BEFORE the player selection screen (AI/human). If it is a problem with the centers/polygons/place/units/basetiles etc, the error will come up as the game is initializing.

Pulicat
how now brown cow?

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

jtkiii
I have been searching for a Civil War mod periodically ever since I first discovered tripleA. The map looks great, the pieces look good (especially like the inclusion of militia). I wanted to chime in and give you a vote of confidence and let you know I can't wait.

By the way, if it helps any, I just finished an MA in history. The Civil War is my area of focus just in case you ever want someone to bounce ideas off of.

Thanks again.

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

Pulicat
Actually, yeah, I do happen to have something I wish to discuss with everybody: How to handle the status of Missouri.

The game starts right at Bull Run, and I'm making Kentucky a straight up neutral area that can be taken by armies from either side.

Missouri is a bit trickier: Officially declared neutrality, yet Federal forces seized the St. Louis Arsenal early on while Confederate sympathizers fled to Jefferson city...Loyalty of the actual populace itself was also divided.

So right now I have Missouri basically be empty neutral territories except Jefferson City and St Louis, which are Reb and Fed respectively, but if anybody else has a better idea how to represent the situation in Missouri please share.

Current territory ownership: screenshot

FYI the other neutral territories marked are: impassable mountains, "Indian Territory" Oklahoma, and large expanses of the great West (areas unoccupied by Americans or occupied by Apaches etc)

Pulicat
how now brown cow?

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

jtkiii
Missouri is tricky, fortunately less so for us than for Jeff Davis and Abe Lincoln. The divisions between Union and Confederate look just about right. The initial ratio of Union to Confederate should be roughly 3 to 1. Perhaps one way of reflecting the divisions in Missouri would be to have a comparatively small number of troops who, except for Jefferson City and St. Louis, spread out and have to be consolidated in order to be effective.

Originally, I didn't like the idea of so much of Kentucky being neutral to start. On the other hand, Kentucky had just about the lowest rate of military participation in the war, even including members of both armies, unless one includes the West Coast. Again, the ratio of troops should be about 3 to 1 to start.

Let me congratulate you for the way you handled West(ern) Virginia. As a resident of the state myself I am amazed by the number of people who don't realize how deep the divisions were in this state and that the southern most third of the state was overwhelmingly secessionist.

Hope that helps.

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:19 PM, Pulicat [via tripleadev] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

View message @ http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/Civil-War-A-House-Divided-tp5060755p5082263.html
To unsubscribe from Re: Civil War: A House Divided, click here.

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

Pulicat
Actually, I am experimenting with a division of labor (sorta) among the production of units, since it is my intention to a) make this historically realistic b) distance this mod as much as possible from the typical Axis and Allies game (which is starting to get boring and old). Let me explain.

While the map looks like its divided solidly between 2 players, each side is in fact composed of many players with different unit purchasing options.

You have a player called Union_Army representing the field armies of USA and they control the actual territories on the map (their color is blue). They have units called "combat engineers" that are essentially moving factories which walk around and build entrenchments, fortifications, pontoon bridges, lays "torpedoes," etc. However the player called "Union_Army" cannot purchase troops, or build ships, etc.

Then you have another player called Union_Manpower representing the manpower pool available to the Union. For every territory under the Union_Army control, the Union_Manpower faction receives a certain number of "mapower points" representing the number of troops/materiel support that can be recruited from said controlled area each turn. This is implemented using National Objectives. Union_Manpower is then able to use this "manpower money" to purchase infantry, cavalry, and supplies. Using the giveunits feature of TripleA, these units when purchased are immediately transferred to the Union_Army's control.

Another faction is Union_Industry representing the industrial capacity of the Union. They collect "industrial points" from certain areas designated as having important "industrial resources" -- highly industrialized areas, coal mines, steel mills, etc. This faction produces artillery, ammunition, railroad trains, and navy. Again this is implemented using National Objectives and again these units are immediately transferred to Union_Army control.

The Confederate side would have a similar setup.

This seemingly complicated setup has a lot of benefits over the simple old IPC purchasing system. First, it allows you to have combat engineers as walking factories building stuff without letting them build troops. I wish TripleA would let you customize factories to limit what they could build, but unfortunately we must rely on using separate "dummy" players to split up the labor. Second, it increases the depth of gameplay since some territories may be rich in manpower but poor in resources, or rich in resources and poor in manpower. Third, the Union blockade of Southern ports may be realistically simulated by using EnemySurfaceExclusion NO for the Southern Industry. The Union blockade would cut down on Confederate_Industry, but not Confederate_Manpower since it makes no sense that a blockade would effect troop recruitment, but it would indeed effect the production of artillery/munitions etc. In addition, by making the Confederate_Industry money come from EnemySurfaceExclusion NO rather than convoy zones means the Union navy needs to physically sit in those waters to deny the money rather than blitzing through the convoy zone -- a realistic representation of ships on blockade duty.

The final advantage is that I can specifically define the area from which Union_Manpower may draw manpower points. I can say that the Union_Manpower cannot gain anything from occupied Confederate territory since it is impossible to recruit troops from a hostile populace, and the same thing can be said of the Confederates. The neutral border states Kentucky and Missouri represents areas from which both sides could potentially draw manpower.

With regards to Missouri, it is difficult for me to delineate exactly where the border between "Seccesionist Missouri" begins and "Unionist Missouri" ends, which is why right now it is all neutral. If you happen to have a map that shows the borders then I could give initial ownership of various Missouri territories to Union or Confederacy, but right now i just simply don't have the info and cant seem to find it online.

cheers,
Pulicat
how now brown cow?

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

Wisconsin
Wow!! The map screenshot looks GREAT!!

It's very detailed and well drawn!

Great job!

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

jtkiii
I looked at a few things to do with Missouri in 1861 last night. The secessionist governor of Mo., along with various secessionist office holders fled Jefferson City in mid June and set up a "rump" government in Neosho. I would suggest that Jefferson City should be colored in blue instead of grey. What's left then is a map that reflects the military division of the state at the beginning of the war if not the division of sentiment.

Looking at your last post, I can see how ambitious a project this is. I'll have to read it again a few times before I could really say anything useful other than that I envy your talent for game design and programming.

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

Pulicat
Thanks jtkiii for the input!

As of now, 95% of the work on Civil War is complete. Note: It is NOT yet playable!

Basically, the main thing I am waiting for is a fix in the current giveUnits feature.
For those of you who are curious can download the files nonetheless from the sourceforge page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleacivilwar/files/

The xml and its other files are loadable to see the graphics, there's just no units on the map yet.

Known issues:

-Give units feature does not work as anticipated. Confederate units supposed to be given to Confederate_Army gives to Union_Army.
-Water territories cannot be part of 2 canals at once.
-Initial unit placement not yet set.
-Missouri fix pending.
how now brown cow?

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

jtkiii
Thanks again Pullicat, can't wait.

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

Pulicat
First playable edition of Civil War is completed.

Please download:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleacivilwar/files/Civil_War_Simple.zip/download

--Pulicat

P.S. I have been experiencing some problems with the java, please read: http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/Does-TripleA-have-memory-leak-tp5110449p5110449.html
how now brown cow?

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

Karl-591-2
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

hey cat,

your map looks beatiful, but want to give my oppinion, and think more people have same reason for avoiding this kind of map.

your units and gamesetup are too complex forsuch a bigmap, example trains?? whats that and what do they do? and ammunition ?? can ammunition capture territorys lol that doesnt make much sence.

i suggest you make a  simple unit setup (dif mod) maybe something like great war (big map, easy units, and not too many different units)

with simple units people only have to deal with an extreemly difficult map to learn and they dont need to worry bout complex units at same time.

ofcource you can do as you please, and it looks awesome, but hope you have a version as i suggested aswel anytime soon.

Re: Civil War: A House Divided

aaaaaa2011
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.