Can someone make a wikipedia entry for TripleA?

Can someone make a wikipedia entry for TripleA?

Edit:

Do not make a new TripleA wikipedia page,

Instead, please edit the existing one found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:AWhiteElk/TripleA_(computer_game)

Please try to help us make TripleA more "notable".

Notable means having lots of Reference links to impartial 2nd-3rd party websites.

Original Post:

It would be good to have.  We used to have one, but some a**h*** deleted us.

I don't have time to make it, with enough on my plate committing code changes, reviewing patches, managing this website, and managing the maps repository.

thx ahead of time,
veq

ps:
it would also be good to figure out other ways to get more advertising and attention,
google bombing us to the top of the rankings for axis and allies online for example,
or making then answering questions on ask.com and other online answer/help places on where to play a&a online
getting good review on free games places
compile an linux rpm of triplea, then distribute
etc.

Re: Can someone make a wikipedia entry for TripleA?

Karl-591-2
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Can someone make a wikipedia entry for TripleA?

that is a user's page, not a wikipedia entry....

can someone please make an actual wikipedia entry?  they could surely copy everything from the above link

Re: Can someone make a wikipedia entry for TripleA?

RogerCooper
I copied the material to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TripleA_Computer_Game and created an disambiguation entry.

Re: Can someone make a wikipedia entry for TripleA?

cool.

i edited it so that typing "triplea" into wikipedia sends the user right to our TripleA page.  yay.

i hope people can start updating this, that page is way out of date.

thx,
veq

edit:
apparently having "triplea" redirect to a wikipedia page about "triplea" is considered 'spam'
and, all but 3 of our external links were deleted, also considered 'spam'
and apparently, despite 600,000 downloads we are considered 'not notable', and will be deleted again soon...

how exactly can we become notable?
i guess once uboat releases the mac version of 1.3.2.2 i'll try to get on moby games or something
this is annoying...

our Wikipedia page will be deleted unless everyone contests it

Please help TripleA to survive the evil Wikipedia deleters!

We only just re-created the page, and yet it has already been tagged by someone "for Speedy Deletion"

I think this is bullcrap that it is happening again,

Please everyone, go contest this!  Go to our wikipedia page and click the button to allow us to live!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TripleA

Please help!!!

thanks,

Re: our Wikipedia page will be deleted unless everyone contests it

crazygerman
Was deleted when I got there sorry :(
I cant code Java, but ill provide moral support :)

Re: our Wikipedia page will be deleted unless everyone contests it

within about 12 hours about 10 fans of triplea logged reasons why triplea should not be deleted

not a single person logged a reason why triplea Should be deleted

yet, someone deleted us right away, without so much as reading the reasons why we should not be deleted, or responding

this is horrible service....

the least they could do is tell us why, and respond to our comments on why we shouldn't be deleted,

and then give us a few days to read their response and maybe comment back

but No!,
they just delete us,
AND delete the 'talk' page where we gave our reasons why
all within 12 hours of someone marking us for deletion!

such bullshit, I'm incredibly mad right now!

Re: our Wikipedia page will be deleted unless everyone contests it

Swobo
break out the pitchforks and torches!

Re: our Wikipedia page will be deleted unless everyone contests it

Pyrrhus
Veqryn,

I posted yesterday in support of keeping the Wikipedia page up, and was surprised to see that it was removed so quickly.  I did read the criteria that Wikipedia uses to determine whether to delete a page, it says that if a page is the same or substantially the same as a page that had been previously deleted that it will be removed.

I saw that you had reposted this page as a copy of the original that had been removed.  That is most likely why it was removed.  If i can make a suggestion, any TripleA page on Wikipedia should be new from the ground up.

I will also say that it was flagged to be deleted most likely by one of two sources:  Someone at Wikipedia that noticed it was the same as the old page that had been deleted, or someone at Hasbro's IT or Legal departments that are still on a witch hunt for TripleA.

I also wanted to say thanks for taking over the development of TripleA, you've done great work on a game that I really enjoy playing!

Cheers!

Re: our Wikipedia page will be deleted unless everyone contests it

1brucben
i noticed this too. it was too late!!!

Re: Can someone make a wikipedia entry for TripleA?

WhiteElk
Veqryn wrote
how exactly can we become notable?
i guess once uboat releases the mac version of 1.3.2.2 i'll try to get on moby games or something
this is annoying...
 It's as I said before, we'd need for TripleA to be reviewed by a variety of noteworthy 3rd party sites.  I stopped working on the article because that wasn't being done, and was out of my hands.  The only chance you have to get the wiki article back up, is to source the article well.  Resubmitting the article before that is done threatens that the name "TripleA" will be "salted": meaning that it is put on an auto-delete list.

I used the article on my userpage to promote the game.  At numerous points on the net I have linked to that page so people can learn about TripleA.  My userpage article has now been deleted and moved to Veqryn's userpage.  The links in all my promotion posts are now broken.  They do no good now.

The article needs sources!!!  The old Apple.com link no longer works.  Getting TripleA listed there again would be of significant import.  The Linux Game database has been updated with TripleA's current version... that is helpful!  MobyGames seems to be one you should target.  As well as other popular sites which talk about games.  I don't know these sites as they are outside my field of interest.  But I am certain there are Many!

A link to the TripleA wiki (work in progress)

Re: our Wikipedia page will be deleted unless everyone contests it

WhiteElk
They err.  The reason listed for deletion was: "(G4: Recreation of a page that was deleted per a deletion discussion)".

G4. Recreation of a page that was deleted per a deletion discussion.

A sufficiently identical and unimproved copy, having any title, of a page deleted via a deletion discussion. This excludes pages that are not substantially identical to the deleted version, pages to which the reason for the deletion no longer applies, and content moved to user space for explicit improvement (but not simply to circumvent Wikipedia's deletion policy). This criterion also excludes content undeleted via deletion review, or which was deleted via proposed deletion or speedy deletion (although in that case the previous speedy criterion, or other speedy criteria, may apply).
The article deleted on July 21, 2011 was not the same article that was deleted on February 1, 2010. Yet they put it up for speedy deletion as if it were.  I'd rewritten the entirety of the article.  Adding more content and sourcing.  This new article was never considered.  It seems that the admin known as Fastily, deleted the new article based purely on the deletion log for the old article.
A link to the TripleA wiki (work in progress)

Re: Can someone make a wikipedia entry for TripleA?

WhiteElk
That new CNET review should do nicely!  CNET is a massive site.  Hard to discount that as notable!  And the article is a review by a CNET staffer, versus the reposting of a developers description.  I think this one review should prove notability.  But they may need more.  So an invite for MobyGames to review the game would be helpful.  Among others!

And nice find for that old (2008) Freeware Genius top 19 list.  On that list are greats like FreeCiv and Battle for Wesnoth among others.  That should be worked in as well.
A link to the TripleA wiki (work in progress)

Re: Can someone make a wikipedia entry for TripleA?

Hi WhiteElk,

I don't know how, but you can move the TripleA back to your user page, that way all your links will keep on working.

I didn't know they would delete or move your user page too.... not sure how or why that happened.

2 days ago when I released 1.3.2.2 for mass consumption I also contacted CNET to update our 3 listings of TripleA.
The Apple one is already updated, while the windows ones will take another week.

I asked freeware genius to review our 1.2.5.5 version about a year ago, but the only response i got back basically said they don't focus on games and are too busy anyway.  I'll ask them again now that 1.3.2.2 is out.

I also contacted FilePlanet to update our versions, and they did so, however they did not change any other stuff I asked them to, or put us on the 'free games' list like i asked.  So i'll ask again.

I also created a listing for us on Moby Games, however it has yet to be approved.

Apple will not let you list your game unless you pay 99$ for a developer membership or something.  Does anyone already have that?  Its definitely not worth doing just for triplea, but if someone already has the membership than it would be very nice to piggy back on that and get TripleA back up.  I guess they took us down because we didn't have the membership.

I don't know what Linux sites there are for games, but they are probably out of date.  I know that the one I clicked on had an old description and pictures, most likely from pre-1003 days.  White, can you either update these or provide links so that i can update?  Someone could also make an RPM for us, and tag it with things like strategy game, etc.

I am honestly not sure where else to go.

It really seems that there are only 2-3 types of games that can be reviewed online:
1) PC games sold in stores
2) Browser games, flash games
3) 'App' games sold in things like iPod's app store.

if you just happen to be a game that requires and install, can't be played in 20 minutes through a browser only,
BUT are free-ware / open source, and therefore not available in physical stores, then you are shit out of luck.

Re: our Wikipedia page will be deleted unless everyone contests it

Lets not re-create it until we get more good reference links.

Also, we should make the format match the format of other computer games.

And in order to become notable, we need good reference links to impartial 2nd-3rd party websites.

This means we need more "Reviews" on good websites.  We especially need an editor review on a website that only deals with video games.

Re: Can someone make a wikipedia entry for TripleA?

WhiteElk
Veqyrn,

It's back!  Thanks.

The deleting admin, Fastily, says to re-submit the article.  But I agree with you that we should wait until the article is updated. Once done, perhaps we should submit the article for review by Cirt, the admin who deleted the article last year.  Since we we've got a deletion record, we are sure to be put on the chopping block again and again.  Might be better to restore the article through the admin channel?

For format, I looked at numerous games, and open sourced software.  I found much diversity in style.  Which I appreciate.  Does wiki now require a formating standard based on content?  The recent deletion comments are all based on last years article.  That article looked very different than the new one.  Is it possible that the format comment was in regards to the original?

The CNET review, and the old review at the LinuxGameDatabase and a couple other existing reviews really should be good.  But this is wiki we're talking about.  wiki is whacked.  Good concept, but broken because people at large are broken.  For notability I once favored sources like the Apple site.   But links for various places to download does not grant us notability.  We need reviews and discussions.  But I do think that CNET along with a few others, should work.  We'll see what Cirt has to say when the article is submitted for his review.

So who's all behind TripleA's development now?  I see that you Verqryn have taken a lead (I like the updates by the way).  But is Sean still lead dev? Is there anyone should be mentioned?

I'm willing to get back to work on the wiki.  But I have relatively little time to invest on it at the moment.  But some forward progress is better than none ;~p  And anyone can edit the article while it's in my userspace.  We'll get this thing done.  One way or another.
A link to the TripleA wiki (work in progress)

Re: Can someone make a wikipedia entry for TripleA?

I updated the article yesterday, on your user page, to be more up-to-date.  And yes, actually I am the only active dev right now, although Wisconsin will hopefully return, and we also have Edwin and Frig as patch contributors for the next version.  SGB stopped working on it with the release of 1.2.5.5, and ComradeKev stopped working on it a few months after that release too.

Based on reading the undelete pages, and the deletion review pages, I believe that if we do re-create the article, we should actually have an admin re-create it for us.  In fact, when I contested the deletion in the official channel, I was told that once we are more notable, and have sources for that notability, then we should have an Admin review it FIRST, and have the Admin recreate it for us.  Otherwise, we will get autodeleted for sure.

I think, give me another month or so to get us more reviews.  I'm contacting lots of game websites and updating their copy of triplea from 1.2.5.5 to 1.3.2.2, and I'm also asking us to be reviewed.  Maybe I can get us on desura and/or steam too.

To have Steam review our game we need 2 things:
A promotional trailer (video) for our game.  Probably 1-3 minutes.
A gameplay video for our game.  At least 2 minutes long.

Can anyone make these?

Re: Can someone make a wikipedia entry for TripleA?

Hey WhiteElk,

Here is a list of the best links and references that I could find:

Actual site and fan sites:

TripleA sourceforge project: https://sourceforge.net/projects/triplea/

TripleA Maps sourceforge project: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/

TripleA War Club: http://tripleawarclub.org/

Reviews + Downloads:

CNET review: http://download.cnet.com/TripleA/3000-18516_4-75184098.html

Desura (similar to steam): http://www.desura.com/games/triplea

Articles:

MobyGames: http://www.mobygames.com/game/triplea

FreeWare Genius: http://www.freewaregenius.com/2008/05/15/an-overview-of-free-turn-based-strategy-and-war-games/

The Frugal Geek: http://www.lockergnome.com/mattryan/2008/05/05/triple-a-gives-axis-and-allies-new-life-open-source/

Linuxaria: http://linuxaria.com/article/turn-based-games-linux?lang=en

RD Techie: http://www.rdtechie.com/2011/07/playing-world-war-ii-game-triplea-on-linux/

Wikinut: http://money.wikinut.com/Free-Computer-Games-For-Budget-Gaming-Part-2/2g0hr8su/

Celsius1414: http://www.celsius1414.com/2006/03/31/triplea/

Other:

AxisAndAllies.org: http://www.axisandallies.org/node/31

Scholarly Article about building an min-max AI for a complex strategy game: http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~daw/masters-projects/dissertations/MSc_project_0803266.pdf

Of all of these, the best ones are our Cnet review, our listing on Desura, our listing on Moby Games, and our mention in the article by FreeWareGenius.

Do you think you could update our wikipedia entry based on these links?  I think this is enough to get us approved.

Re: Can someone make a wikipedia entry for TripleA?

Zhukov4
I noticed there is another wiki page already up, that has links to a bunch of reviews.  I suppose we should integrate these reviews into the White Elk page to make it more 'notable'.

see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TripleA

Re the WhiteElk page, the discussion of the development process for TripleA is not necessarily notable unless there are media and/or scholarly accounts discussing it.  Such accounts may exist (indeed TripleA deserves to be discussed in this manner) but if we can't find them it may be better to delete that section and keep it simple, focusing on the essentials.

I will give the page a workover and try to integrate those links first chance i get.