But mommy I don't want to be a paratrooper!

But mommy I don't want to be a paratrooper!

panguitch
Before I post this as a bug on the Sourceforge tracker, I wanted to see if anyone has an explanation.

If you have an army that includes paratroopers and air transports, and you select all units and move them to attack a neighboring territory all at the same time, the engine automatically assumes the paratroopers rode the transport instead of walking. Assumes this even without going through the normal dialogue of selecting how many transports to board and which troops to board.

This matters because if AA shoots down the plane, the paratroopers die with it. But if the lazy bums had just walked, they wouldn't have gone down with the plane and could still fight.

This only happens if you move all units at once. If you move the paratroopers and the air transport separately, then the engine doesn't assume to paratroopers boarded the plane.

I found this in my Greyhawk Wars map (hero riding on dragon):
Before the battle: NotParatrooper.tsvg
After the battle: NotParatrooperAfter.tsvg

But it seems to be a problem for any map with paratroopers. Here's an example from WWIIv3 (infantry riding on bomber):
Before the battle: NotParatrooperV3.tsvg
After the battle: NotParatrooperV3after.tsvg

Known issue? Problem only in my own mind? Or a bug I should file?

Greyhawk Wars
TripleA in the original Dungeons & Dragons world

Re: But mommy I don't want to be a paratrooper!

panguitch
One other note:

This gets really weird if your air transports can also have air battles.

1) air transports and paratroopers are in a territory that gets attacked by enemy planes
2) defender sends air transports into the air battle to fight those enemy planes prior to the main battle
3) enemy planes shoot down the air transport
4) paratrooper dies with the air transport, because the engine assumes the paratroopers were on board

Greyhawk Wars
TripleA in the original Dungeons & Dragons world

Re: But mommy I don't want to be a paratrooper!

aaalafayette
I'm being a bit lazy to not check msyself, but do you know if the same assumption is made if you move infantry first, then the air transports?

The shift select behavior of this sounds buggy. The SF bug queue is more or less frozen, please post the bug here: http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/issues/new

Re: But mommy I don't want to be a paratrooper!

panguitch
Bug only occurs if units are moved together. Moving either unit first prevents it.

Bug occurs if you shift-click, ctrl-click, or even click in the territory and select all units in the dialog that appears.

Thanks, I've posted to github. This post still points to sourceforge: http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/How-and-where-to-post-bugs-td3076194.html  Possible to change it to github?