Quantcast

Britannia

WilfredOwen
This post was updated on .
BRITANNIA

A series of games set in the British Isles.

The games will cover:
1. Roman Invasion of Britain 43AD.
2. Post-Roman Invaders 450AD -1066AD.
3. War of the Roses 1455AD.
4. English Civil War 1642AD.
5. Jacobite Rebellions 1688AD.

Part 1 is complete and now undergoing play test. Part 2 has begun.

Part 1
Britannia - Roman Invasion

Play test!

The Roman Emperor Claudius has sent Aulus Plautius, a distinguished senator, to conquer Britain. He has at his disposal 4 legions of about 20,000 men plus an additional 20,000 auxilia. They are the veteran legions: Legio II Augusta, Legio IX Hispana, Legio XIV Gemina and Legio XX Valeria Victrix. II Augusta is also known to be commanded by the future emperor Vespasian. The Romans are set to invade!

Meanwhile, the Britons are certainly not unified. In the north the Picts and the Caledonians are vying for dominance. In the south the Catuvellauni have displaced the Trinovantes as the most powerful kingdom in south-eastern Britain, taking over the former Trinovantian capital of Camulodunum.

The welsh remain quiet in the west. The Brigantes are expanding their power in the centre of Briton conquering weaker neighbours.

Who will dominate and become lord of Britannia, the Romans with their superior training and discipline or one of the wild and warlike native tribes? Let conquest begin.

This is a free for all but I think I will work on some alliances for an alternative version. The period didn't really cater for strong alliances, more like agreements. Romes allies were its conquered or bullied victims.

LATEST VERSION (19thMay 2011)

If you want to play test this please use this link:

https://rapidshare.com/files/2647505274/Roman_Invasion.zip

To play you need to unzip into folder: programfiles/triplea_1_2_5_5/maps

I would appreciate feed back from any playtesters.

WO

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."

Britannia

WilfredOwen
This post was updated on .
Some screenshots.

WO

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."
fei

Re: Britannia

fei
Not going to add any relief tiles? ;-)

Re: Britannia

WilfredOwen
I will. Never made relief tiles before. Can i just impose actual earth satelite images of the britiish isles? Im new to all of this. If you can help i would appreciate it
WO

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."
fei

Re: Britannia

fei
Yeah, it'd suffice.

You know how to break/separate tiles for baseTiles folder? So it's same for reliefTiles - just in reliefTiles you put your own relief split image.

To match these two may be a problem - to be sincere, it's simpler when you find a relief image first, then make base tiles. Can be hard doing the reverse.

Re: Britannia

WilfredOwen
ok  ill give it a go soon. thanks
WO

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."

Re: Britannia

rockrobinoff
I was extremely excited at the prospect of someone making a Britannia game for Triplea. It is one of my favourite board games. So, my heart sunk a little when i discovered this is different game. Hope it works out for you and best of luck nonetheless. That said, I think you shuold change the name so as not to step on the toes of the good people at Fantasy Flight Games, and to avoid general confusion.

Re: Britannia

WilfredOwen
Actually I would like to to do something similar to that game. It is a favourite board game of mine. Im learning map making at the moment. But I have plans to make maps/games for all the invasions (roman throught to norman) and then maybe combine them into one ultimate game. We will see. Give me time.
WO

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."

Re: Britannia

WilfredOwen
Has anybody tried this map? Have you found any bugs? Do you have any suggestions to improve balance and play?

Please try it and feed back to me

Thanks
WO

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."

Re: Britannia

pug6000
A few proposals (and I dont know the board game Britannia)

1) Give Rome no income in Gallia at all (see your own explanation, why they get no starting income). Futhermore they arrive with a really strong army.
2) Remove Elephants (Rome didnt bring them there - and they wouldnt have survived for long) and cataphracts (were only used in the late Roman empire)
3) Roman units should be unique. Dont let them be bought. There are only those who are there at the start already. Romans can recruite certain auxiliaries, but no typical Roman units.

Pug

Re: Britannia

pug6000
A few more things on the other "nations"

The fast units are have a "bad" cost relation to each other. Strong units also have the best efficiency:
lightcavalry: ok
cavalry: remove 1 defence
chariot: increase cost by 1 or 2

swordsmen should be 2/2/1 instead of 3/2/1

Pug

Re: Britannia

WilfredOwen

Roman income: Originally I made the Gallia territories 0 income. I think I will return to that. Good Point.

Cataphracts: I take you point on Cataphracts and they may aswell be removed. Same with Horsearchers aswell.

Elephants: I am not in agreement. It is mentioned in historical records of Claudius sending atleast a small force of elephants to scare the Britons. However, there is no conclusive proof other than skeletal remains of an elephant dating back to that period found in Colchester (Camulodunum). I think it adds some colour to the scenario so I'm going to keep it but I wont allow any new builds of Elephants.

Roman Units: Thats an interesitng point about Roman units. I like that idea of them only recuiting auxilia. I will adopt that in future versions.

Units: I will look into the bad cost relation of the fast units.
Why should swords man be 2/2/1? I think British swords man were quite wild and prone to ferocious attack but may be not so great in a disciplined defense.
I did intend to give some emphasise to attacking.

Thanks again for your comments Pug.

Ill certainly make some changes at I outlined earlier.
WO

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."

Re: Britannia

pug6000
The reason I mentioned the swordsmen was different.

warband: 1/2 cost 3
swordsmen: 3/2 cost 4

This is a big improvement for the battles for little more to pay. There is no reason, why someone should buy a warband. An alternative to 2/2 would be 3/1 for swordsmen, more like a berserker.

Re: Britannia

rockrobinoff
it's easiest to understand pug's comments when you compare units using whole numbers.

12 is the lowest number both swordsman and warbands divide evenly into in terms of cost, so lets compare 4 warbands to 3 swordsman.

4 WB attack at 4, and cost 12, extra hit point.

3 SW attack at 9, and cost 12.

the extra hitpoint clearly does not offset the the overwhelming attack power of SW.

in terms of defense, 4 WB defend at 8 + extra hit point.
                            3 SW defend at 6

so if you are defending, you are clearly doing better buying WBs, and it is up to you to decide if the extra defense of WBs makes them a worthwhile buy.

Re: Britannia

Gneis
Good Effort! hope you soon have this great game for us, I played Britania in Boardgame and was awesome!

Re: Britannia

WilfredOwen
Fair enough Pug. Valid arguement. I like the berzerker idea. That would work. I will give it more thought. Although in greater numbers when defending RockRobin makes a good case for the warband being more viable in defense.

Thanks guys
WO

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."

Re: Britannia

WilfredOwen
This post was updated on .
Changes made:

Romans

-now do not have Horsearchers or Cataphractarii. (May return in later versions covering the Late Romans.)
-Roman Cavalry cost 1 more and defense reduced to 2.
-may not buy any more legionary cohorts or war elephants.
-may buy british swordsmen and cavalry. Still may not buy chariots and berzerkers. Units folder updated!
-balaeric slingers now just called slingers.  Units folder updated!
-Gallic territories reverted back to 0 production value.

Britons
-Added berzerker unit A3, D1, M1, Cost4. Supportable. Units folder updated!
-Chariots cost 1 more. Cost = 7.
-Swordsmen now have attack 2.
-Cavalry now have defense 1.

New game file: 4 player Pre Roman FFA

As I have changed the contents of the units folder you will need to download the whole Britannia: Roman Invasion folder. The new 1.2.5 xml is not enough!

Files and folder uploaded. See original post at top.

WO

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."

Re: Britannia

Namolis
Had a look at Roman_Invation_Alliance2.

Cav seems quite weak now. If you compare to standard A&A and think of warband as standard inf (1/2/1-3), in revised tanks are 3/3/2-5, and that's considered ok. In A&A classic tanks were 3/2/2-5, and then they were considered underpowered. Archers seem a little overpowered, they are in practice 2/3/1-3.5; for that price, I'd buy them for the defense alone.

Defending: rather than buying four warband, if you buy two skirmishers and two archers, you have the same value (4/8-4hp), except that after taking two hits you're down to 2/6-2hp, not 2/4-2hp AND you saved 1 PU.

Attacking: buy berzerkers to fill up the archers and then buy slingers and berzerkers in pairs (ending up heavy on the berzerker side if you can't). And some skirmishers for fodder.

But when to buy warband?

Re: Britannia

WilfredOwen
This post was updated on .
Its very tricky balancing all units. Everyone has a point of view and one cannot please everyone all the time.

I dont think economics is the only consideration when buying. Sometimes you want a unit that attacks and defends. You buy fit for purpose not just maxing economics.

For example: If we double your buy to 22 then look at a bigger battle which often happens in triplea.
Option 1: we double your buy. Option 2: buy a mix including 2 warband. Remember, although I buy archers and slingers in pairs, I don't have to stack them in those pairs! (1 archer is 3.5, 1 slinger is 2.5 cost)  Option 3: I could swap 2 skirmshers for a berzerker to spice it up too!
Option 4&5: Variations
The first value is attack and second value is defence. One removes casualties appropriate to whether One is attacking or defending, as one would.

Option Buys                                       Cost    1st rd         2nd rd         3rd rd         4th rd        5th rd
Casualties:                                                                   3 cas           2 cas          2 cas        1 cas.
1) 4 arch 4 skirm                                  22    8/16 8hp      5/13 5hp      3/9 3hp        1/3 1hp      dead
2) 1 arch 2 warb 1 sling 5 skirm              22   11/13 9hp      8/10 6hp      6/8 4hp        3/5 2hp       1/3
3) 1 arch 2 warb 1 berz 1 sling 3 skirm     22   12/12 8hp      9/9 5hp        6/7 3hp        3/3 1hp      dead
4) 2 arch 1 warb 1 sword 4 skirm            22   11/14 8hp      8/11 5hp      5/8 3hp        2/3 1hp     dead
5) 2 arch 1 warb 1 berz   4 skirm            22   12/13 8hp      9/10 5hp      7/8 3hp        3/3 1hp     dead

We can see option 2 which includes warband lasts longer and in the closing round of combat has more punch. It also represents a more historically accurate the mix of a tribal unit. With warband representing experienced fighters and skirmishers young wannabees! The skirmishers are designed as a cheap unit of cannon fodder. They also represent the vast majority of untrained inexperienced young men and boys that made up a british warlords army

If I'm attacking and I think the combat will last 3 rds 1 go for option 5. If I think its close and will last 4 rounds I go for option 2 attack or defend. If its a quick 2 or 3 round defense I need I'll take your option 1. But I would never choose to use option 1 for an attack. Options 2-5 offer better attack opportunities and you need to attack to win!

This shows a spread of different units is better than just simple economics. Also consider what is the purpose of the units. I say buy fit for purpose and flexibility. You can only guess what will happen in the future!

The warband has its uses as so all the units. The skirmishers are essential. Of course none of this takes into account the need for cavalry for mobility and flexibilty of attack!

Thanks for you input. Ill see if I can make the warband better value or I increase skirmishers cost to buy 2 for cost 5. Every time I change one unit it affects another in terms of game balance. So tricky but its all interesting. I also keep in mind the historical balance of units too.

I also need to balance the start up forces and alliances.
WO

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."

Re: Britannia

pug6000
I like the changes.

Ok, some more ideas on the map.

Right now Rome is extremly strong. Looking at the Roman empire, it's perfect. But they are too strong for a balanced map. I like the idea that the Roman emperor has no interest himself to support the invasion, so I would go further on that road.

There ideas are meant for the alliance game.
1) Rome can only conquer a limited number of territories for himself. All other territories will fall to the allies of Rome. This way Rome has to be careful with it's forces and think twice where to use them.
2) At the same time weaken the Roman allies. They should need the Roman help (in ancient times: they ask for help and become a vassal)
Alternative:
The Roman senator cannot raise units himself. He needs to capture an enemy city first. Well, he is on enemy soil, so it's not so easy to get help at all.

For FFA:
The last idea might be a way to go:
The Roman senator cannot raise units himself. He needs to capture an enemy city first. Well, he is on enemy soil, so it's not so easy to get help at all. Otherwise they could simply go for S. Belgiae, noone can keep them away. Next turn they get reinforcements from Gallia quickly in place and noone can force them out. They even have a nice building area with N. Belgiae the next turn. Remember, that they start with 4 times the strength of the other "nations".