Because those that can't, help...for detailed WWII maps

Because those that can't, help...for detailed WWII maps

wrigleyfield
This post was updated on .
Ideas I’m going to put in my map one day, possible never so I might as well discuss and share them. this is for detailed maps. mainly NWO and TRS. possible WAW which i havent played yet

Only tanks should blitz, this one seems obvious to me. There has been an assumption that anything with 2 movement points can blitz, I disagree, blitzkrieg is the domain of the tank (at least in WWII)

Get rid of tankette, armored car, and artillery. This will clear up a lot of sightliness on the map and make things easier overall (along with making room for new units), besides all of those units can be assumed to exist within bigger formations.

I feel like tanks should be able to move just as far as motor and mechanized units. So all should be 2 movement points (mp), but perhaps it’s better to give all 3 MP’s. Historical Elite units where given the best equipment and thus should be at least be 2 MP. Staying with Elite units they are better, so they should be better at defending then plain infantry. 2/3 in my mind. Cost more of course, well get to that

Infantry, Elite Infantry, and Infantry Motorized should be supportable, artillery is gone but Mechanized divisions and all land fighters should have support ability. Kinda of a small thing but I’d prefer Infantry Motorized and Mechanized divisions.

Early tanks where all the same/equal but during the war each of the 3 sides had very different tank designs, I’d like to see that reflected. Germany amazing but expensive, Russia cheap and effective, Allies well just cheap and shared. Italy and the rest of the axis SOL, stuck with the early tanks. I don’t think it will clog the board either, just two types of tanks. Early or Light tanks and the second country specific tank. Germany might have to have three, light, panzer, tiger

I have a hard time seeing T Boats as attacking craft, with that kind of limited range surely they were defensive units. I understand attack was their best form of defense but it’s still waiting for your opponent before counter attacking, it’s defense to me. I would switch them from 2/1 to 1 and 2 keeping the range at one. This is all at best

Submarines on the other hand are attacking ships, attack should be higher then defense in all cases

It gets a bit complicated but I’d love to see early ships brought into the game. WWI battleships, cruisers, destroyers, and subs. In this way existing ships, like all WWI units, would not be long for the battle and arms race could be fought in the deck yards

But Destroyers should not attack the same as Cruiser, they shouldn’t defend the same either! Destroyer (1/2/3) Cruiser (3/3/2 +1tc). new prices TBD

I’d like to see carriers, subs, and destroyers with a movement of 3. (Battle Cruisers too if they were developed)

Carriers should have their own type of aircraft because sacrifices must be made to fly planes off ships. Planes with a range of 3. One fighter type and one naval bomber type per CV (maybe bomber range 4 but no SB).

Bombers should not attack at 4, this is crazy. Lancaster and B29 attack at a 5, five! LOL what a joke!, range 8!!! come on. Bombers just weren’t effective on the WWII battlefield, you can’t aim in one of those planes. This is absurd to have them so deadly. I’d drop the attack down to 1, cut the prices in half and let them revert to strategic bombing

Touched on this before, I’d drop all fighter attack points by 1 but give them support ability. This way in a land battle E-ftg is still 2/3 and ftg still 3/4 (assuming infantry are present), but at sea fighters should not be effective attacking at just 1 and 2 respectively. Also land fighters wouldn’t be able to land on a CV

Special Red Dot units and unique units. This is where I may go to far but I’d like to see as many as the game and players can support.

Germany - two different types of tanks, Panzers ready to buy right away and red dot Tiger’s. also Stuka’s, also Type VII subs, also battle cruisers or pocket battleships. Maybe the Me as a red dot. Also a sprinkling of Stuka’s and elite infantry units at the start of the war

Ruissia - T-34 tanks and Katjusha (special artillery) as red dots.

Britian - M4 Sherman tank as a red dot. maybe Lancaster

USA - M4 red dot, P52 fighter red dot, maybe B29

Italy, Finns, French, Colo French, Romanians - nothing unique...only early tanks, regular units otherwise

Depending on play test Red dot units would be bought starting round 4, round 6, or of course round 5. maybe two dots would be needed, no i'd like to avoid that. still thats only 10 unique units (with 3 maybes). i think that can be supported, most of them are German anyway and it's not like there is a shortage of WWII history on German units

If you like some of the ideas keep and develop them, if you like a lot of my ideas well I need help developing a map and rounding out prices and unit values so message me about developing things further. glhf

Re: Because those that can't, help...for detailed WWII maps

wrigleyfield
adding...i'm passionate about adding as much historical accuracy (even if this is a dice game)
Tim

Re: Because those that can't, help...for detailed WWII maps

Tim
Italians can get the commando frogmen unit...allow Elite infantry to make attacks against ships on the coast. That'd be lulzy and hellacious to code.

Re: Because those that can't, help...for detailed WWII maps

no need to add ugly red dots to units, now that you can program into the xml exactly what turn new units appear on the production screen.

Re: Because those that can't, help...for detailed WWII maps

Swobo
can you make units unavailable after a certain turn?

Re: Because those that can't, help...for detailed WWII maps

yes
have you tried triplea 1.3?
have you tried new world order 1.8.6?
have you tried pact of steel 2?

in nwo, the units only appear on the purchase screen on turn 4, not before then,
this means that even the ai can't build them turns 1-3.

other cool additions to nwo are that bunkers no longer need edit mode to be bought and placed. they can now be bought and placed anywhere, limited to 1 per territory per turn

in pact of steel 2, all players get access to a specialized air transport unit after discovering paratroopers technology.  the air transport can be used to transport units in combat or non-combat phases, up to 2 units per transport.
also, the japanese gain access to midget submarines if they lose a couple islands.  the midget submarines are suicide units that die when they roll their dice (so they will only be present for the first round of combat).   they are very cheap, and can overwhelm an enemy if they are not prepared with enough cheap destroyers to counter.

Re: Because those that can't, help...for detailed WWII maps

Axis Overlord
I'd like to see the US and Britain able to buy Chinese/Russian units. Or at least give them loads of cash whenever they feel like it. Something to represent the Lend-Lease Act.

And I've never liked the bunkers in any of these games.. But I like the idea of them.
I spend too much time playing this game.

Re: Because those that can't, help...for detailed WWII maps

Axis Overlord
Russian Winter/Russian stabby units. :D
I spend too much time playing this game.