Base Tiles

Zim Xero
One thing which severely limited me in map making was the fact that all territory borders had to be absolute black.  If there is a way to modify the transparency level displayed, it would allow a lot more variety and make map making easier.  I have a global map that is 3D rellief that I could modify and convert to TripleA, except that black borders would ruin it.  (see below, done at quarter scale)

Re: Base Tiles

Cernel
I totally (morally) support allowing for the borders not being displayed or being displayed under the baseTiles (via map.properties and the already existent "Draw Borders On Top" in the menu).

Actually, the thing that irritates me the most is those damn black borders always on top when you zoom.
Try to start NWO and zoom it, you will see the black borders on top of the relief (visible in the sea zone borders).
It doesn't matter for my similar remake of WaW, instead, because I've added the image borders as a "decoration" on top of the map, and it could be resolved for NWO the same way, but it is putting hack over hack.
This is because the menu "Draw Borders On Top" is automatically set to "Medium" when you zoom under 100, which is dumb.
Basically, you have to go click on "Draw Borders On Top/Low" after each time you zoom, which is stoopid.
It was a graphic hack for all those maps that have 1 pixel borders disappear when you zoom.
But it's not even optional, so it ruins all maps (meant to be zoomed) not having exactly black borders everywhere, also in relief.
I hate that.

The best would be that you can set the default "Draw Borders On Top" for each map, in map.properties, and that it allows also to set it to be "Invisible" (currently impossible) (or under the baseTiles), and assure it doesn't change when you zoom (which makes no sense). This way, to support those maps that have the borders disappearing when you zoom, it would just need to be set "Medium" for those only, instead of ruining all well made maps not having exactly black borders.

Re: Base Tiles

I have made maps with invisible borders. My two star wars maps have no visible borders. Here are a screenshot of how it looks and two pictures from the base and relief tiles. I don’t know if this example can do you any good, but here it is anyway:

Base:  Relief:

Re: Base Tiles

Cernel
Your star wars maps have no visible borders, as long as you never zoom them.

Yep, covering the borders with relief and having black baseTiles under them is the standard practice to tailor the graphic around the silly engine limits; still, you see the borders each time you zoom under 100, unless you hit "View/Draw Borders On Top/Low" each time, which is stoopid, and I believe most people don't even realise.
History plays dice