Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

newUser_
This post was updated on .
Sorry, deleted by mistake, I will try to write the same thing again.

I was wondering if I can use TripleA name  or the units' images for the iPad app I am currently developing.

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

Sean Bridges
Administrator
I would appreciate not using the name TripleA or TripleApp or anything similar, as your project has nothing to do with TripleA.

TripleA is released under the gpl, so using the images from TripleA is allowed if you release your iphone app under the gpl as well.  However, I am not sure the app store and the gpl are compatible.  http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/09/the-gpl-the-app-store-and-you/

That being said, the creators of the images may allow you to use their images, you would have to contact them directly.

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

newUser_
Thanks for replying. That's good to know thanks.

How do I know who created those images ?

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

Bung
Are you trying to port TripleA to the ipad or create something new? Maybe speak with the guys at gametableonline.com too. They're an independant group with rights to make an A&A game online.

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

is your project going to be Open Source?  (free and released under GPL client, with source code available to everyone)?

and like bung asked, are you doing something completely new, or are you going to port TripleA?

TripleA is Open Source, released under the GPL license.  So using any of our code, images (flags, units, etc.), or maps, would mean that your project would have to be released under GPL too (and therefor would have to be open source).

If you would like to join our project, and/or port triplea to become an 'app', then welcome to the team.  (everything we do is open source though)

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

U-boat
Anything to get it on the app store (for free of course). I think the Apple Developer cost is $99 a year.

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

newUser_
Wow, thanks guys. I'm actually trying to do something new because porting TripleA would take a long time specially that I have to work independently on this project because it is my Master's project.

I guess I can’t take the images then because I am not sure about the copyrights of my App. I don’t know I If I have to obtain one or if it comes with submitting the app to the App Store.

I guess I have to buy the game and take pictures of the unites and the map and modify them with Photoshop. I can do the same with the images of TripleA but I guess it is not something that the people who made those images of TripleA would be happy about.

Thanks for your answer.

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

newUser_
Hi again, I have contacted Wizard (Avilon Hill) about using the name Axis and Allies or any alternative name for the game. Also I asked them about whether I can do a game very similar to it with a different name.

I asked many questions in two emails and their reply was exactly the same “Unfortunately, Wizards is unable to grant you permission to use its intellectual property in the manner you have requested”.
And they also said on the second email “You may wish to send in a written letter to our Legal department for your questions.”

I have question for you guys, how were you able to make the game and license it and put it online ?

The first video game of it was Axis & Allies: Iron Blitz and I though this game died because Hasbro (the publisher of the game) never supported it. I remember the lags and bugs. However, I was surprised to find that people now releasing patches to fix the bugs and basically making it playable again. It is made by a gaming lobby that makes old games compatible with new operation systems and their website is ewarzone.com.

The game is also on GameTableOnline.com, and was also publish as a Real Time Strategy game by Atari which made the game into a 3D strategy game.

There are many examples of that. So, If you guys know about how to get a license or something like that, please could you let me know how ?

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

We aren't an Axis and Allies game, thats why

we are a game engine, that plays many different games, the most popular of which are all user created

New World Order, for example, is by far the most popular and most downloaded map we have, and it was created by Sieg, ErnieBommel, and many other contributors in our community.

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

newUser_
Cool, now we talking.

So you saying that if I make my iPad/iPhone app and call it something like (War Scenarios) and include Axis and Allies maps and rules like TripleA, then there won't be problem with licensing and copy rights and all those issues?

Obviously I have to add more games (Scenarios) later on. This is the same idea of TripleA I guess ? Correct me if I am wrong ?

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

Not quite,

the methods of how to play a game can not be copyrighted,
(so for example, the idea of producing units in territories, how to resolve combat using dice, etc., can not be copyrighted)

however, just about everything else can be copyrighted.  Which is why triplea doesn't come with any a&a maps or games.

We really are focused on expanding TripleA to play any kind of war game you can imagine, and most of my updates to the TripleA engine since I became a dev have been to remove restrictions and hardcoding to A&A.
We don't want to be associated with A&A, and I believe the best way to do that is to allow TripleA to play any and every kind of war game available.
I want to play tactical games, strategic games, diplomatic games, New World Order type of games, and even "Risk" type of games (the old non-copyrighten version of course, not the new ones).

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

newUser_
First, I would like to thank you for helping me.

I have just seen this thread http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/Forum#nabble-td3251158 about the issue that TripleA had with Hasbro.

So as I said before, what if I do the same as TripleA i.e. making a game engine that supports board games such as axis and allies. Obviously, there won't be any referencing to Axis and Allies apart from the rules, the way the map looks (doing it from scratch and not copying it) ? Do you think this would work ?

TripleA doesn't come with any axis and allies game or map, so how about the downloadable ones ? is there any legal issues with that ?

I just want to do everything right from the beginning so I dont have problems later.

I like the game and I am sure that many people would like to see it on iPhone/iPad (Which is one of the main reasons I am making it). Obviously with no referencing to Axis and Allies.

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

I can't say it will work or not.  Apple manages their app store very closely, and has very tight quality controls and copyright controls.  If Hasbro objects, you can be sure that your app will be taken down immediately and you will probably have little or no chance to appeal it.

If you are choosing to do this as a separate project because you have to work alone (due to school), I can assure you that I know nothing about mac's and iPad/iPhone, so you would definitely be working alone if you chose to port TripleA.

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

newUser_
Well, I guess I have to try then :). I have to make the game anyway because that's my project and I cannot change it now. The issue is whether to put it on the App Store or not.

I will do it without referencing Axis and Allies whatsoever. My only problem is that after changing all the references to the game, I am not sure if that would rises any legal issues.

One more thing, how did the issue with Hasbro ended, I mean what happened at the end ? It is not mentioned in that thread. Also, Axis and Allis maps are available for download in TripleA, is that acceptable by Hasbro ?

I am sorry that I am asking too many questions. It is because you guys went through everything to maintain TripleA. I really would like to benefit from your experience. (Not taking advantage ofcourse :) )

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

Somename
So what's the app gonna be called?

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

newUser_
Wow, It is almost a year since I started this thread.

Well, I did the project for my MSc. I called it iGeneral (I am thinking to change the name though). I did not finish it up the standard I wanted because I had to do it within 3 months. In those 3 months, I bought a Mac and iPad, learned Objective-C, Learned how to do the Map, and implemented the game. I made it as a Pass-and-Play kind of game since there was no time to make AI or online gaming.

Don't be disappointed though, I am back now to finish what I started. I am reconstructing everything so that the game can have many Maps, options, online, and AI. I am gonna make it similar to TripleA i.e. like a game engine. I could allow users to submit their maps, by providing them the XML files that contain the game scenario, and some instruction of how to do the Maps.

I did my map using Adobe Illustrator, then saved it as SVG, then parsed it and presented the Map on the iPad screen.

I'm also trying to make some nice graphics.

When will it finish ? Hmmmm, I just started and It will take some time since I will add lots of features, but I may put it on the App Store before finishing all the requirements, and then keep updating it.

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

Somename
Sweet, thanks

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

Bung
Cool for letting us know...

I was thinking lately that web technologies would be enough to create a version that would work on more than the ipad... like victorsunited.com. If I was going to get involved in something like this, I kinda feel like it would be more worth the time to do something that worked for everyone.

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

newUser_
The website idea seemed good at first, but I remembered that apps are taking over now. An app with your own server could be played on different platforms providing that you design the same app for those different platforms.

The website will always suffer from compatibility issues like with the flash and iPhone/iPad. Generalisation is a good way to go, but unfortunately it is not possible since we have lots of companies competing. Apple creating their own world, and the others siding by Microsoft or similar approaches.

Re: Axis and Allies iPad/iPhone App

Bung
Im not implying using Flash, but more modern HTML5 app techniques. I disagree that it will suffer from compatibility issues on an IPAD.
123