Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

RogerCooper
With new A&A Pacific 1940 game out, it seems a good time to post a working version of the old one. Not all rules are implemented, but the games works.

The mod is posted at http://www.rogercooper.com/AxisAlliesTriple-AComputerVersion.htm. This is not a scenario repository, so you will need to download the file with your web browser.

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

Captain Nub
Yay :D

Now, where can I find out how to download those maps and add them to my map queue?

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

gudkarma
does it work?
i get this error,

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not find file for map:pacific
        at games.strategy.triplea.ResourceLoader.getPaths(ResourceLoader.java:67)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ResourceLoader.getMapresourceLoader(ResourceLoader.java:33)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.UIContext.internalSetMapDir(UIContext.java:189)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.UIContext.setDefaltMapDir(UIContext.java:162)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.TripleAFrame.<init>(TripleAFrame.java:196)
        at games.strategy.triplea.TripleA$1.run(TripleA.java:150)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:199)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?
i'm running it on a mac 10.6.2
i jsut plopped the pacific folder where all the other game folders are.
all the other games work in tripleA.

Download the latest version of SENGOKU JIDAI for TripleA.

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

gudkarma wrote
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not find file for map:pacific
Make sure the folder name exactly matches what's under the mapName property of the XML.  In this case- 'pacific'.  Let us know if that helps or if you're still having problems.

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

gudkarma
Thank you so much, Sir! thats all it took. loaded up.

Download the latest version of SENGOKU JIDAI for TripleA.

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

Uhrmacher
I'm new to Triple A and just as new to AA Pacific original version.
I bought the board game several years ago for my boys but never played it till recently.
I have to admit my interest has been peaked since I've been watching the new HBO mini series "Pacific".

Any way, I've been playing AA Iron Blitz off & on for several years and got used to having the computer set all of the pieces up to save me a lot of time. Now I'm wanting to play AA Pacific, but get a little tired of the set up. Hence I started looking to see if a computer version was available and to my delight, here is Triple A!!!

I recently downloaded it and the AA Pacific map/scenario. Started learning & playing a little, but am confused if I did something wrong for the Japanese special 1st turn combat. I thought all British & American units defend with a roll of 1 to simulate Japan's surprise attack. However, my game's Allied units are defending at their normal value.

Do I need to click something on or off for that to happen?
Maybe this is a bug?

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

RogerCooper
The surprise attack rules are not implemented by TripleA You could try to make up for it by increasing Japan's starting money or adding some units with the edit mode. You could also resolve the combat outside of TripleA and use the edit mode.

Another solution would be creating a scenario starting in June 1942. Creating a new setup is not hard.

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

even without the surprise attack, japan is still a sure winner
perhaps without that, the game is suddenly balanced again? lol

roger, check it out on the depot (eb map list), there have been a couple updates to it since you last downloaded it

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

RogerCooper wrote
The surprise attack rules are not implemented by TripleA
Really?  Hmmm, the code exists and the last time I worked on that map it was in there.  I can look into the xml and see if the game property is disabled.  More to come.

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

Veqryn, can you replace the 1.2 version of the old pacific map with this one.  I updated a couple of things and cleaned up a bit.

Thanks!
Kev

pacific.zip

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

done
(looks like you fixed the first round assault thingy)

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

Rolf Larsson
I´m always curious about new features. What exactly has changed?
I have taken a look at the xml and found a few things, which made me interested:

1. Convoy centers and Convoy routes:
-a convoy center is a seazone with income right?
-how does the convoy route work? No convoy income for the territory the route leads to
if the line is broken by an enemy? Have ships always to be there or just one time?

2. <option name="dominatingFirstRoundAttack" value="true"/>
    <option name="negateDominatingFirstRoundAttack" value="true"/>
    What do they do exactly?

3. <option name="placementInCapitalRestricted" value="true"/>
    Lets a player only produce in Capital?

4. <option name="takeUnitControl" value="true"/>
    <option name="giveUnitControl" value="true"/>
    Australians controled by british?How does it work?

5. <option name="vps" value="0"/>
    <option name="captureVps" value="0"/>

6. <attatchment name="territoryAttatchment" attatchTo="30 Sea Zone"
            javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TerritoryAttachment"
            type="territory">
            <option name="production" value="0"/>
            <option name="changeUnitOwners" value="true"/>
        </attatchment>
    Something for the unit takeover or what is it?

7. <option name="kamikazeZone" value="true"/>
    only there are Kamikaze attacks allowed?

8. <option name="navalBase" value="true"/>
    <option name="airBase" value="true"/>
    Does it work right now and how?

9. <resourceList>
        <resource name="PUs"/>
        <resource name="VPs"/>
        <resource name="TemporaryVPs"/>
    </resourceList>
    What are VPs and TemporaryVPs?

10. <delegate name="givePUs"
            javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.delegate.GivePUsDelegate"
            display="Give PUs"/>
     Transfer PUs from one player to another?

Thx for the ansers so far.If I would know about the pacific rules of the boardgame, things would
become more clear I think.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

Rolf Larsson wrote
1. Convoy centers and Convoy routes:
-a convoy center is a seazone with income right?
-how does the convoy route work?
Correct on the CC.
In order to collect the income for a CR linked territory, the CR must NOT be controlled by the enemy.  Ownership of the CR follows the same rules as other territories- no units must be present to maintain ownership.

Rolf Larsson wrote
2. <option name="dominatingFirstRoundAttack" value="true"/>
    <option name="negateDominatingFirstRoundAttack" value="true"/>
    What do they do exactly?
The dominatingFirstRoundAttack causes all defenders to defend at a roll of 1... unless they have negateDominatingFirstRoundAttack.  As used, Japan dominates, but China negates- meaning China defends normally while all other allies defend at 1.

Rolf Larsson wrote
3. <option name="placementInCapitalRestricted" value="true"/>
    Lets a player only produce in Capital?
I beliefe that's correct- but you should check here to check.

Rolf Larsson wrote
4. <option name="takeUnitControl" value="true"/>
    <option name="giveUnitControl" value="true"/>
    Australians controled by british?How does it work?
This causes all 'British' units to be changed to 'Australian' control.  This is used to 'combine' the turns in this game, it could also be used for 'Lend/Lease' types of trades.

Rolf Larsson wrote
6. <attatchment name="territoryAttatchment" attatchTo="30 Sea Zone"
            javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TerritoryAttachment"
            type="territory">
            <option name="production" value="0"/>
            <option name="changeUnitOwners" value="true"/>
        </attatchment>
    Something for the unit takeover or what is it?
Yeah, that changes the sea units ownership in that zone.

Rolf Larsson wrote
7. <option name="kamikazeZone" value="true"/>
    only there are Kamikaze attacks allowed?
These may just be to locate the faded flags to mark the zones- but it may also be in support of the un-implemented attacks- I forget.

Rolf Larsson wrote
8. <option name="navalBase" value="true"/>
    <option name="airBase" value="true"/>
    Does it work right now and how?
Adds +1 movement to ships starting or finishing at friendly naval bases.
Adds +1 movement to aircraft starting at friendly air bases.

Rolf Larsson wrote
9. <resourceList>
        <resource name="PUs"/>
        <resource name="VPs"/>
        <resource name="TemporaryVPs"/>
    </resourceList>
    What are VPs and TemporaryVPs?
VPs are victory points.  For the Japan game- 10 income = 1 VP.  I don't know if it's implemented, and I don't know what TempVPs are.

Rolf Larsson wrote
10. <delegate name="givePUs"
            javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.delegate.GivePUsDelegate"
            display="Give PUs"/>
     Transfer PUs from one player to another?
This is the start of an un-implemented way to transfer funds from one player to another.

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

Rolf Larsson
Many thx for the quick answers ComradeKev,
this helps a lot for my new project.

A few questions remain, but i will just test, to see how they work exactly.
The properties page(i liked the website as it was before) should show all these
changes.

Ceterum censeo aleam esse correctum(XII).
We now have custom dice!

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

Pulicat
Perhaps Combat Air Patrol could be implemented with some sort of dummy carrier players could place in the sea zones, which doesn't participate in battle?

Puli
how now brown cow?

SZ32 and Queensland don't connect.
how now brown cow?

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

Pulicat
In trying to make June 1942 mod of the old pacific map, I run into a strange issue.

When I try to make transports more like v3 rules by adding the following properties:

                                <property name="Ignore Transport In Movement" value="true" editable="false">
                                                <boolean/>
                                </property>

                                <property name="Transport Casualties Restricted" value="true" editable="false">
                                                <boolean/>
                                </property>

                                <property name="Unescorted Transport Dies" value="true" editable="false">
                                                <boolean/>
                                </property>

I get an error telling me:

Could not parse:xxxxxx/pacific_1942/games/pacific_1942.xml
games.strategy.engine.data.GameParseException: Restricted transports cannot have attack or defense
        at games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment.validate(UnitAttachment.java:429)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.validateAttachments(GameParser.java:160)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.validate(GameParser.java:144)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parse(GameParser.java:135)

"Restricted transports cannot have attack or defense" when in fact in the unit attachments I have already removed the attack and defense. Do you know anything of property interactions that may cause this?

Puli
how now brown cow?

Re: Axis and Allies Pacific (Old Version)

Pulicat
OK, I've been able to figure out that its the "Pacific Theater" property that does it. I add "Pacific Theater" to the regular v3 1941 and v4 xml and they bug out the same way.

So clearly there is something coded in the "Pacific Theater" property that is in direct conflict with defenseless transports

puli
how now brown cow?