Anyone for sounds?

As you guys do such awesome work with the graphics and such, I was wondering if anyone would like to venture into creating various sound clips for TripleA.

TripleA currently supports .wav files, though they're pretty sparse at the moment.  If someone wants to find FREE AND OPEN SOURCE files and give a suggestion on what should trigger the sound, I might be persuaded to open them up a bit.

At some point, I'd like to soft code the sound interface a bit so you can add your own sounds much like you do artwork/units.  But that's down the road a bit.  I'm also eventually going to implement a throttle that will only play sounds occasionally- say when something major occurs.

But in the meantime, you guys can create a library from which to choose.

Re: Anyone for sounds?

sieg
Hey

i like the idea a lot.

a few days ago i spinn arround with friends and we
thought about how fine it would be to have some sounds
while the battles are going on... ratatata.. hehe

otherwise i would like to have sounds when u have to
clic ur casualties. that would make things easier, of course optional...

greets

sieg

Re: Anyone for sounds?

One good sound bite would be a marching sound when a unoccupied territory is taken over and a motor when tanks blitz into enemy territory.

Also Maybe a sound bite of the national anthem of the attacking team when a victory city is taken or a national objective is met.

Re: Anyone for sounds?

i want the "slap" sound in the lobby, and the "general activity / someone wrote something" sounds to be different.
and we need the ability to mute all sounds except for the "slap" plus the "beginning of our turn" plus the "some activity that needs a click from you" sounds.

Re: Anyone for sounds?

hepster
Can't you just turn down the sound on your computer?

Re: Anyone for sounds?

ya but, i don't want to hear a sound when people are just talking,
but I DO want to hear a sound when i get slapped or it is my turn or i need to click for a battle

Re: Anyone for sounds?

OnanTheBrBr
The Bommels opinion:

1. I suggest (at least) 3 categories of sound, which can be toggled independently:
   a) Gameplay sounds, like the mentioned battle/victory/blitz etc (since these have a tendency to be cool initially, but annoying in the long run)   [entertaining sounds - sounds containing no information]
   b) Chat activity sound  [functional sounds, containing some information]
   c) Slap, gameroom joining, starting game [functional sounds containing vital information]

2. Settings should be independently available for every instance of TripleA, thus for the Lobby, as well as every gameroom(!!)/game. I would suggest one standard "audio" menu entry / button for ease of use.

3. Lobby settings can serve as default for subsequently started gamerooms/games - just as it is currently done.

As far as I can see, this way, the situation is nicely customizable (being able to set it independently for every instance grants quite some flexibility, without adding complexity), without being overly complicated.
If a lot of "entertaining sounds" are implemented, it might be interesting to have some customizable via some multicheckbox window. But I think its important to keep things simple, where possible.

Obvious goal with the above 3-level structure is, to give players the ability to protect themselves from annoying sounds (hyperactive lobby/in-game discussions, ill-meaning slapping in the lobby), without forcing them to give up on all their accustical communications.

Some last thoughts:

 Concerning the "entertaining sounds", there can be a problem with the diversity of the maps: One doesnt want a some dwarven cavalry to have some halftrack sounds when Blitzing, nor some japanese Oatakebune to go "Ka-boooom" in a naval battle. It may pay of to invest in a good concept here. Most customizable seems to me, if the maps actually could specify sound-files. Maximal flexibility could probably be reached there by enabling a sound to be attached to every unit property (by specifying a soundfile for a unit property in the unit definitions of a map), which would be played whenever that unit property is used. Since the game allows theoretically for a lot of unit properties being used in parallel, some handling of this would be needed.
Might be simpler to just let a map define some sounds for a standard set of events.

Well, specially looking forward to some diversification of the functional sounds. Cheers, Kev!

Regards,
EB
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Anyone for sounds?

giving this a bump

Re: Anyone for sounds?

sieg
hi,

i REALY would like if there would be a sound when people have to clic the casualties.

( maybe some war sound or bes a mod able soundfile)

greetings

sieg

Re: Anyone for sounds?

U-boat
Veqryn wrote
i want the "slap" sound in the lobby, and the "general activity / someone wrote something" sounds to be different.
and we need the ability to mute all sounds except for the "slap" plus the "beginning of our turn" plus the "some activity that needs a click from you" sounds.
I second this notion.

Re: Anyone for sounds?

Folks, if you find, upload, and note the location of free, open source sound files - I might be persuaded to add a bit of support for them.  I've got the places noted in the code (unless Veq has removed all the 'Kev' comments ) and they can easily be added.

Re: Anyone for sounds?

spillblood
Very good idea. Always thought that TripleA has not enough sound since first trying it. Sounds would give you a bit more feedback of your actions.

Re: Anyone for sounds?

crystalct
Many free war sound at tags-war
---------