Any good WWI mods besides Great War

mscheaf
I just really don't like how the map is laid out on great war. it makes no sense. They way America is located is just silly with that big winding path. And there is a pacific but you can't get to it from america? And you can block someone from getting to the entire pacific by parking some ships next to portugal? Might as well take the US out of the game as they make no difference and it is just another turn to sit through. And I like the Western Front inset, but the Africa and Pacific insets seem pointless. Could have just used a whole world map and stuck the WF inset on it and been done. It shouldn't be quicker to sail from England to Japan than from England to US. I would have rather seen US close and with lower production and no units at all to start. Or just leave them out completely as nuetral like they were for most of the war. They were a non factor anyway.

Is there a better WWI map out there?

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

aaaaaa2011
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

Black Elk
Yeah, the map design leaves something to be desired, and the exagerated role of the US doesn't really correspond much to the historical reality. It was cool for what it was, and for ironing out the kinks and testing the naval ideas, but we should really have a simplified game for WW1 available. I'm not sure how you could design one without some kind of inset for the Western Front. American can certainly go, and the Pacific/Africa are unecessary after 1914. I still think 1915-17 is the best period to cover, and with convoys the key to getting the naval game up off the ground... a revised map exclusive to the European theater would be ideal. I think it'd also be worth expanding the Med, Baltic, and North seas to include more sea lanes. If it weren't for the WFront inset, I think something along the lines current Napoleonic Empires map would work pretty well. An NWO scale would probably be too large, Revised A&A scale too small, but it would be nice to see something that could be pushed out into later 20th century scenerios, or earlier to the 19th, with territories divisions more organized in a more general way instead of just specifically WW1.

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

ubernaut
that was my idea but noone seemed to be very excited about actually contributing it seemed like all i could do to get a couple of votes on the basic mechanics

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

RogerCooper
The Domination mod would be good base for a WW1 scenario. The 1914 boundaries are already there. The whole world is covered, with Europe done at a reasonable level of detail. Just add historical alliances and setups.

The late entry of the US is best handled as a special rule, with US being unable to move until a specified turn.

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

ubernaut
that is an interesting map but it has some issues in my opinion. first being that there are too many cities and territories in certain parts of the map. also the sea zones are a bit screwy looking the atlantic should never take as long to traverse as the pacific. i do really like the map though.

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

Surtur2
Hi, Surtur2 here.

Seems like there have been a lot of changes to the TripleA engine while I wasn't looking.  That being said, and bearing RogerCooper's excellent suggestion in mind, I decided to take another crack at a WWI mod, using the Domination map as a base and liberally using the goodies from the AA40 Global scenario.  I've attached the first draft.

Installation notes:
1. I yoinked the Domination map(s) off of the default download site (nice job with the site, btw)
2. Place the Domination_1914.xml into the maps/domination/games dir
3. Place the map.properties, notifications.properties, and politicstext.properties into the maps/domination dir
4. Add flags and unit graphics for the following players: Neutral_True,Neutral_CP,Neutral_Allies,Brazilians,Persians,Bolsheviks.  I just copied, renamed, and pasted pre-existing assets just to get placeholders there.

The map is pretty busy graphics-wise, and I haven't playtested it for balance, though I did some basic tests to make sure the politics all works fine.
Powers:
Germany
France
Bolsheviks
Russia
Austria
Ottomans
Britain
Japan
Italy
USA

Got a few sets of neutral powers as well, each with their own separate politics:
China
Persia
Brazil & co.
Neutral_Allies
Neutral_CP
Neutral_True

The game starts off with the Central Powers (Germany, Austria, and the Ottomans) at war with the Allies (France, Russia, Britain, and Japan).  By default, Italy enters the war on turn 2, and the USA enters on turn 6.  Starting turn 7, Germany also has a political option of supporting the Bolsheviks, in which case the Bolsheviks enter the game.

If at least one of (Estonia, Pskov) is still in Allied hands on turn 7+, Germany can press a button in the politics panel, and the Allied-held territory will switch to Bolshevik control and 20 Bolshevik infantry will spawn.  The Bolsheviks are their own alliance, at war with the Allies but neutral with the Central Powers.  So Germany, et al. cannot enter Bolshevik territory and vice versa.

Italy doesn't have any diplomacy before it enters the war, and neither side can declare war on it.  The Allies were trying to court them, and the rest of the Central Powers believed Italy was an ally.  On turn 2 Italy will automatically enter the war as one of the Allied powers.

The US, left to its own devices, will automatically enter the war as an Allied power on turn 6.  While the US is at peace, there is a naval movement restriction in place, preventing units from entering European waters.  However, any one of the Central Powers can declare war on the US at any time, which would bring the US in earlier.  Also, certain circumstances will give the US casus belli to declare war on the Central Powers:
1. The Central Powers declare war on the True Neutral countries
2. The Central Powers declare war on China
3. The Central Powers declare war on Brazil, et al.
4. The Central Powers invade Mexico (which is a Central Powers leaning neutral)

The Central Powers leaning neutral powers are:
1. Bulgaria
2. Jabal Shammar (in Arabia): Friendly with the Ottomans
3. Mexico: Representing the possibility that Victoriano Huerta was not apprehended before crossing the Rio Grande, or Venustiano Carranza didn't turn down the Kaiser's Zimmerman telegram offer of alliance

The Allied leaning neutral powers are:
1. Portugal: Had a treaty with Britain, eventually joining the Allies
2. Denmark (including Iceland)
3. Siam
4. Romania: I expanded Romania to include Bessarabia so it could be split into two territories like in the latest Great War map.  A hack, I know.

If True Neutral powers get declared on by an alliance, they become Friendly_Neutral with the opposing alliance:
1. Spain
2. Netherlands
3. Switzerland
4. Guatemala
5. Nicaragua
6. Costa Rica
7. Honduras
8. Haiti

In addition, Albania and Greece are attackable neutrals with no politics, so anyone can grab them if they have the troops

China can be declared on by either side, and becomes friendly neutral to the opposing team.  Also, if anyone declares war on the True Neutral powers, this will also flip China.  Declaring war on China alone has no implications, other than giving the US casus belli if you are one of the Central Powers.

Persia can be declared on by either side, and has no effect on anybody else.

I put the rest as "Brazilians" even though they include 4 powers:
1. Brazil: Eventually joined the Allies, citing German submarine warfare
2. Liberia: Eventually joined the Allies, after being attacked by German submarines
3. Cuba: Heavily influenced by the US, as the US helped secure their independence from Spain during the Spanish-American War
4. Panama: Heavily influenced by the US, as the US helped secure their independence from Colombia
Their diplomacy is more complicated.  One of the following things will happen:
1. The Central Powers declare war on the True Neutrals -> flips and becomes Allied Neutral
2. The Central Powers declare war on the US -> flips and becomes Allied Neutral
3. The Allies declare war on the True Neutrals -> will remain neutral for the rest of the game
4. The Central Powers declare war on Brazil & co. directly -> flips and becomes Allied Neutral
5. None of the above -> on turn 6 flips and becomes Allied Neutral

Let's see... what else?
-There are British troops in Picardy, helping out with the Western Front
-There are British troops in Macedonia, representing the Allied occupation of Salonika, despite Greek neutrality
-There are German troops in Dardanelles, in case Germany wants to grab Bulgaria on G1
-German IC in Caroline islands can produce 2 units/turn, despite territory only being worth 1
-Russian transport in the Caspian Sea
-German transport in Lake Tanganyika
-The following Russian ICs can produce 3 units/turn: Warsaw, Minsk, Kiev, Crimea, Volgograd, Nizhni-Novgorod, Omsk, Irkutsk, Yakutsk, Vladivostok
-Locations for easy-to-forget/overlook navies:
Germany:
SZ 35, 42, 49, 52, 55, 58, 68, 76, 106, 122, 137
Britain:
SZ 21, 69, 70, 73, 81, 94, 100, 103, 104, 114, 116
France:
SZ 90, 127
Russia:
SZ 138
US:
SZ 37, 135, 145, 153

Again, this map is not rigorously tested/balanced, and is just a first draft/proof of concept.

Domination_1914.xml
map.properties
notifications.properties
politicstext.properties

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

Surtur2
Just a couple of changes:
v0.2
-FIX: Previously Bolsheviks could ONLY be activated by Germany on G7.  This is now changed to G7+
-Bolshevik movement is restricted to originally Russian territory (like China in other maps)
-Bolsheviks have nerfed production frontiers and can only produce land units (infantry, artillery, cavalry, aaGuns)
-Added Bolshevik National Objective to bolster income: If Bolsheviks own any province, +5PU
-Added factory repair functionality
-Turned on factory AA guns
-Restricted AA guns to 3 attacks
-Added aerial combat before strategic bombing (with all aircraft starting with 0 airAttack/Defense)
-Changed submarine defense to 1
-Lined up unit costs with AA40 for the time being
-Added Technology (will detail in subsequent post)

With the new techs there are new images required in the units folders: tactical_bomber.png, tactical_bomber_lr.png, carrier_hit.png, zeppelin_lr.png, zeppelin_hb.png, and zeppelin_lr_hb.png

So in total, to get this to work, you need:
1. The .xml
2. maps.properties from the previous post
3. notifications.properties from the previous post
4. politicstext.properties from the previous post
5. Add flag graphics for Neutral_True, Neutral_CP, Neutral_Allies, Brazilians, Persians, Bolsheviks
6. Add unit graphics folders for the same powers above
7. For the major powers (Germany, Austria, Turkey, France, Russia, Britain, Japan, Italy, USA), add the following extra unit graphics: tactical_bomber, tactical_bomber_lr, carrier_hit, zeppelin_lr, zeppelin_hb, zeppelin_lr_hb

Domination_1914.v0.2.xml

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

Surtur2
I added tech research to this map.  12 techs so far divided up into 4 categories:

LAND TECHNOLOGY
Armored Vehicles: Changes production frontier to allow armour/tanks
Mechanized Infantry: Changes production frontier to allow halftracks (which have the same stats as mech inf)
Improved Artillery Support (default behavior)

NAVAL TECHNOLOGY
Aircraft Carriers: Changes production frontier to allow aircraft carriers
Super Subs (default behavior)
Cruiser Bombardment: Allows cruisers and battlecruisers to do shore bombard

STRATEGIC AIR TECHNOLOGY
Strategic Bombers: Changes production frontier to allow bombers
Long Range Aircraft (default behavior, but includes zeppelins)
Heavy Bomber (default behavior, but includes zeppelins)

TACTICAL AIR TECHNOLOGY
Tactical Bombers: Changes production frontier to allow tactical bombers
Advanced Fighters: Add 1 defense to fighters (3/3 -> 3/4)
Aerial Dogfighting: Add 1 airAttack and 1 airDefense for fighters (since everything else starts at 0, fighters with this tech will get free hits on everything else during air raids)

With 5 techs which can be research individually it required 31 different production frontiers (2^X - 1), but that mostly involved lots of copy/paste + search/replace.

As to where to go from here, I'm not sure.  If there's no interest then obviously there's no point.  I'm not sure I like the Western Front being so narrow between France and Germany, but I can't change it without getting a new baseline, and my artistic skills are somewhat lacking.  Things that could be done with the current map:

MAJOR:
-Balance testing
-Unit/Flag graphics
-Do something, either with unit graphics or place.txt to make the map less visually busy

MINOR:
-Give destroyers anti-sub capabilities, either by default or as a technology research (would have to involve a new unit + graphic, and yet another set of production frontiers)
-Thinking up and implementing National Objectives
-Adding convoy zones
-Shifting from one-size-fits-all factories to the major/minor factory system in AA40
-Adding Harbours (and making two-hit capital ships not auto-repair)
-Adding Airfields (and potentially scramble, maybe as yet another tech/unit/frontier)

POTENTIAL TECHS:
-Giving destroyers ASW
-If airfields are added, give fighters scramble
-Give bombers/tactical bombers/zeppelins nonzero airAttack
-(Preexisting) Rockets
-(Preexisting) Radar
-(Preexisting) War Bonds
-(Preexisting) Shipyards
-(Preexisting) Improved Mech Inf
-(Preexisting) Paratroopers
-(Preexisting) Jet Powers
-(Preexisting) Increased Factory Production

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

blumb
Seems your up to good stuff. I wish I had to time to play test it some, but I bearly have the time to check in here for the next month or so.

As your going for the historical I would make the techs as realistic as possible.
Harbours are a good idea.
I think isdestroyer should be tech only and not available to all.

Definatly agree with you on the western front size on the map base. I put together some WW1 moding for this map too (as well as others) and have been hoping that some better gets worrked up. My grafix skills are probely similiar to yours. You and me are in the same boat on this.

I'm looking forward to looking into this more and folding some of it into a 1918 map with a tech tree WW1 to present. I'm crossing my fingers that somebody good at map design jumps on the WW1 big map bandwagon...

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

Surtur2
v0.3
-Added convoy zones
-Switched to major/minor factories and factory upgrades
-Connected Norwegian Sea and Barents Sea
-Added harbours
-Added ability to build airfields (though there are none initially on the map)
-Victory Conditions:
Central Powers:
1. Allies no longer control three of their capitals (so Bolsheviks owning St. Petersburg still helps the Central Powers)
2. Central Powers control at least one of their original capitals
Allies:
1. Control Berlin, Vienna and Constantinople
2. Allies must control at least one of their original capitals

-Changed some territory values:
Calcutta->3
Bombay->2
Caroline Islands->2
Cape Town->2
Caucasus->3
Irkutsk->2
Kiev->2
Minsk->2
Nizhni-Novgorod->2
Omsk->2
Tehran->2
Vladivostok->2
Volgograd->2
Warsaw->2
Yakutsk->2
Rio de Janeiro->2

-Implemented/added some new techs:
Anti-Submarine Warfare: Upgrades destroyers to s_destroyers, with anti-sub capability, and updates production frontiers accordingly
Paratroopers: (from alpha3)
War Bonds: (from alpha3)
Improved Factories: (from alpha3)
Shipyards: (from alpha3), though I could not use the built-in shipyards functionality, since I had multiple production frontiers not named "production".  Wrote a perl script to brute force spit out all 2^X-1 of the production frontiers, conditions, and triggers for all player nations
Radar: (from alpha3)
Rockets: (from alpha3)
Improved Mech Inf: (from alpha3)
Jet Power (from alpha3)

-Renamed "Advanced Fighters" tech to "Air Superiority"

-Reorganized new and existing techs:
Land Technology
Naval Technology
Strategic Air Technology
Tactical Air Technology
Industrial Technology
Tier2 Technology (I put all the anachronistic techs in here)

-Added National Objectives
Germany 1: Zimmerman Telegram - Any Central Power controls any Mexican territory (+5PU)
Germany 2: African Colonies - Germany retains control of its original African colonies (+6PU)
Germany 3: Pacific Empire - Germany gets +3PU for any/each of Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney-Canberra, and New Zealand

France 1: Alsace-Lorraine - Allies control Alsace (+5PU)
France 2: Control the Mediterranean - No Central Powers naval vessels in Med (+5PU)
France 3: Control Central Africa - Allies control Togo, Kamerun, Gabon, Middle Congo, Chad (+5PU)

Bolshevik 1: Proletariat Uprising - Bolsheviks own 1+ territories (+5PU)

Russia 1: Southern Slavs - Allies control Trieste,Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Serbia, Belgrade (+5PU)
Russia 2: COSSACKS!!! - Russia controls Crimea, Dnieper, Don, Caucasus (+4 cavalry)
Russia 3: White Russians - If Bolsheviks are in play, Russia gets free infantry in every Allied controlled of  Warsaw, Minsk, Kiev, Volgograd, Nizhni-Novgorod, Omsk, Irkutsk, Yakutsk, Vladivostok

Austria 1: Avenge the Archduke! - Control Serbia, Belgrade (+5PU)
Austria 2: Italian Betrayal - Austria gets +3PU for any/each of Venice, Milan, Piedmont, Tuscany, Latium, Rome, Apulia, Naples, Sicily, Sardinia controlled by the Central Powers
Austria 3: Balkan Ambitions - Austria gets +2PU for any/each of Montenegro, Belgrade, Serbia, Albania, Macedonia, Greece directly controlled by Austria

Ottoman 1: Restore the Khedive - Central Powers control Cairo-Suez (+5PU)
Ottoman 2: Recapture Tripolitania - Ottomans control Tripoli, Tripolitania, Fezzan, Cyrenaica, Tobruk (+5PU)
Ottoman 3: Jihad - Central Powers control all of Hejaz, Mecca, Arabia, Yemen, Aden, Oman, Trucial Coast, Qatar, Al-Dammam, Kuwait, Bahrain (+10PU)

Britain 1: Liberate Belgium - Allies control Belgium (+5PU)
Britain 2: Influence Persia - Britain controls at least one Persian territory (+5PU)
Britain 3: Commonwealth - Britain retains control of Ottawa-Montreal, Cape Town, Calcutta, Sydney-Canberra (+5PU)

Japan 1: Twenty-One Demands - Japan controls Tsingtao (+5PU)

Italy 1: Restore Venezia - Italy owns Trieste (+5PU)

USA 1: Can the Kaiser - US owns one German province (+5PU)

Attached a .zip file with all the relevant files in one place.  Just overwrite/add to existing domination files in directory tree.
Included:
-new XML
-maps.properties
-notifications.properties
-politicstext.properties
-flag graphics for Neutral_True (Spanish flags), Neutral_CP (new Bulgaria graphic), Neutral_Allies (Portugal), China (switched out Qing graphics for Nationalist), Bolsheviks (reused Soviet), Brazilians and Persians (brand spanking new)
-Unit graphics for Neutral_True, Neutral_CP, Neutral_Allies, Brazilians, Persians, Bolsheviks, Neutral
-Additional graphics for existing powers due to techs (airfields, harbours, carriers, minor/major/upgraded factories, tactical bombers, zeppelins, and all of their tech-related variations)

Still to do:
1. PLAYTESTING (and lots of it) for balance/bugs
2. fix the place.txt to make the map less busy
3. think of better solution for anachronistic technology (can rip it out as last resort, but a rudimentary tech tree with unlocks would be ideal)
4. Write notes in .xml

domination.zip

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

RogerCooper
You should give your mod a new name, so it does not overwrite the existing mods. Domination-WW1 is my suggestion.

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

Surtur2
I was thinking of that, but the only thing that actually gets overwritten is the flag graphic(s) for China.  The rest of the changes are additions only, so wouldn't impact the rest of the domination stuff, aside from increasing the one-time download cost.  Assuming this ever gets to the point of being folded into the official map .zip.

Anyway, slight update.
v0.3.1 changes:
-FIX: made neutral factories capturable
-Added 2 inf to Caroline islands to give Germans more offensive naval options without having to worry as much about a J1 and/or UK1 amphibious grab
-Moved German fleet in SZ 137 to SZ 136 to give them the option of fleeing the Japanese fleet
-Modified Austria NO: Balkan Ambitions to also include Bosnia (changed for thematic reasons, not balance)
-Modified Germany NO: Pacific Empire to also include Tsingtao and Caroline Islands (changed for thematic reasons, not balance)

Domination_1914.xml

Could use some help testing.  I burned up most of my free time doing the xml in the first place.  Now I only have 20-30 minutes or so (on a good day) for testing.

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

blumb
I finally have got the chance to do a little playtesting and such.

My 2 cents thus far...

1)there is the need for trenches in the frontiers
2)cavalry should be cheaper, 6pu is too much imo 4pu is better
3)unescorted transports shouldn't be removed, this would make room for a transport attack tech
4)tech tokens should carry over by default, why burn the research papers?
5)it seems some of the techs are too advanced for ww1, could be fixed with a tech tree...

I need to play a bit more and see want else comes up....

Seems like somewhere in the middle of this and imbaked's mod could prove popular. Imbaked's is getting some play in the lobby due to it being in the repo. I'm not sure how much as I had not been in the lobby in quite a few months before a couple days ago.

Nice work Surtur2!

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

Phil_mckr
Must be doing something wrong, can't get it to work, keep getting the following error message

triplea.engine.version.bin:1.8.0.3
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.io.Reader.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.InputStreamReader.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at games.strategy.util.PointFileReaderWriter.readOneToManyPolygons(PointFileReaderWriter.java:251)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.MapData.<init>(MapData.java:184)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.UIContext.internalSetMapDir(UIContext.java:91)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.AbstractUIContext.setDefaultMapDir(AbstractUIContext.java:144)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.TripleAFrame.<init>(TripleAFrame.java:242)
        at games.strategy.triplea.TripleA$1.run(TripleA.java:196)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)

plainsfire
I'm getting the same error message, too. Any ideas?

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

plainsfire
Bump!

Any ideas on why I am getting this error? Thanks in advance!

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

blumb
fixed and posted in the other thread...

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

King_Arthur

what happened to the 1914 project?

the one that sought to implement the actual WWI rules and map?

Re: Any good WWI mods besides Great War

hepster
That is still being worked on.