Quantcast

All Game Properties Documented

For all of you map developers, hop on over to RogerCooper's A&A wiki and read up on all the possibilities for the game properties.  I've documented all of them, given xml examples, and explained any conflicts that may exist.

They can be found at: http://axisandallies.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Properties

Re: All Game Properties Documented

OnanTheBrBr
Thx Kev, this is a good piece of work you did there. This is very helpful and was badly needed.

Just 2 thoughts from my side:

1. The number of maps is very limited at the moment, since old maps have to be adapted by hand anyways to work under TripleA 1.1.1.0. Because of this, it is a good, almost "historical" chance to get rid of misnamers like "NavalBombardCasualtiesReturnFireRestricted". "Use Destroyers and Artillery" Seems to be a candidate for this too.

2. Some properties are nicely "atomized", meaning they affect one basic part of the game (like "isTwoHit" "Attack" etc.). While others are pretty high-level (like "Use Destroyers and Artillery", "isAA" etc.). It would add much more flexibility to the engine if the complex propeties could be split up into their parts. These parts then could be united, thus modularized, under Meta-properties, inheriting from the basic parts.

So instead of just having "isSub", there would be 3 properties "canNotHitAir", "RetreatFromCombatAtDefense", "HasFirstShot" (casualties dont fire back - missing in the Wiki entry for "isSub) and "canSubmerge" (which could be called "canHide" instead, since it actually could be applied to other units too). "isSub" would then just become a Meta-property, incorporating these single properties in a joined one.
With this approach, I would think the different rulesets could also be realized. Actually, they are already for the most part. But not completely.

Well, this is just my 2 Cents. Programming days are long gone for me. Might well be you had good reason not to do it this way. Just think with the the old maps needing to be adapted anyways, and a couple people around willing to do it (Roger, Veqryn, me), this is a damn good chance to clean up.

Regards,
EB
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: All Game Properties Documented

I love you Kev!

Re: All Game Properties Documented

Killgore85
WOOHOO!!!

===edit===
Water that produces PUs can be "controlled" economically but not for movement.
"Don't worry little brother...there are more!"

Re: All Game Properties Documented

U-boat
Me encanta esta comunidad!

Re: All Game Properties Documented

U-boat
Might I add that Hari-Kari means to commit suicide via disembowelment.

Re: All Game Properties Documented

U-boat
Directly translating to "cut the belly"

Re: All Game Properties Documented

crystalct
Is there a way to produce units without a factory with "Production Per Valued Territory Restricted"?
---------
Droid Rulez

Re: All Game Properties Documented

crystalct wrote
Is there a way to produce units without a factory with "Production Per Valued Territory Restricted"?
Yes, that's what both "Production Per Valued Territory Restricted" and "Production Per X Territories Restricted" are intended for.  However, they currently only support producing infantry.

Basically, you'd need to add an additional delegate to the game xml file:
<delegate name="purchaseNoPU" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.delegate.NoPUPurchaseDelegate" display="Purchase Units"/>

And then add a corresponding step for the player in question:
<step name="chinesePurchase" delegate="purchaseNoPU" player="Chinese"/>

Finally, you'll need a rulesAttatchment for the player if you're using productionPerXTerritories (to specify how many territories it takes to produce an infantry):
<attatchment name="rulesAttatchment" attatchTo="Chinese" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.RulesAttachment" type="player">
     <option name="productionPerXTerritories" value="2"/>
</attatchment>

If this is the ONLY method by which you want the player to produce, you'll need to modify the step for ending their turn.  If they collect PUs, they'll be able to buy units as well.  To disable this, add the following instead of the regular "endTurn" step:
<step name="chineseEndTurn" delegate="endTurnNoPU" player="Chinese"/>

Re: All Game Properties Documented

crystalct
It's ok, this is the way of chinese purchase system into AA50.
I looking for a way to simulate new chinese rules of pacific 1940.
---------
Droid Rulez

Re: All Game Properties Documented

1 of the wiki sorely needs clarification, namely:

axisandallies.wikia.com

http://axisandallies.wikia.com/wiki/Use_Destroyers_and_Artillery

The artillery has been added for the first time in the 4th edition (right?). In that edition a transport can load 1 infantry plus 1 of any land units. In 2nd edition a transport can load 2 infantries or 1 other land unit (armor or aa-gun).

When you enable artillery in Classic (2nd and 3rd editions alike), the game gives you artillery with the same transport cost as infantry. Is this correct??

Namely, what is the correct behaviour?:

1) You can transport 2 artilleries or 1 artillery + 1 infantry.

2) You can transport 1 artillery + 1 infantry (but not 2 artilleries).

3) You can trasport 1 artillery (and nothing else).

Number 1 is how it actually works in-game (in xml artillery has <option name="transportCost" value="1"/>), but playing the Classic FFA everyone was against being able to transport 2 artilleries in 1 transport! Is this a bug?! If this is correct, it really needs to be written somewhere, cause, othewise, I can't make people accept loading 2 artilleries on a single transport!

Number 2 is how most people seem more confortable with.

Number 3 would be most consistent with the 2nd edition general rules that any land units but the infantry takes the whole space in the transport (but I guess this is not how it is supposed to work here; otherwise you would have set <option name="transportCost" value="2"/>).

So, main question is, did you set <option name="transportCost" value="1"/> because you are supposed to be able to transport 2 artilleries in 1 transport or because people are supposed to autolimit themselves transporting artilleries by 4th edition rules? If it is the second case, it really needs to be written in any notes of any games having this option!

Help!!!

Most in important of everything? Again! Is the game correct?! CAN YOU LOAD 2 ARTILLERIES ON A SINGLE TRANSPORT???!!! OMG 2 artilleries in 1 transport sounds crazy! Or are you supposed to autolimit yourself using 4th edition rules for the artillery while still using 2nd edition rules for armor and AA-gun?!

Also, is this option a TripleA only thing right? I mean I know that other games added stuff like marines to classic. But adding artillery to classic is purely a TripleA thing right?? Or can I find some explanations about artillery in classic option somewhere else??

Somebody answer please!

I need somebody explaining what is what, exactly; then I (or anyone else) will update the wiki. I think it is needed. Nobody seems to know! I normally know. This is the first time I don't. And I can't find anything anywhere! I've searched for many hours. I'm confused...

Thanks.

Re: All Game Properties Documented

Cernel
Sorry, thinking again about it, the option just adds a unit called "artillery", but should not be related to the abilities of said unit.

Thus I should not have posted here and the thing should not be explained in this wikia.

Still, if the artillery is really supposed to be transport cost 1 and you can load 2 artilleries on 1 transport (as it works) it really needs to be confirmed somewhere! Can anyone answer here anywhere. Any idea about the best place where it should be written down, if not already written? Probably only the Notes of all games having this option, right?

Anyway, if all is fine, it really needs to be written somewhere (not sure where) cause it's almost impossible to have people accept loading 2 artilleries on 1 transport. And if you should not load 2 artilleries on 1 transport; then it should be written down in all notes, absolutely.

Again sorry for having raised the issue in the wrong topic.

Re: All Game Properties Documented

Dude.... this thread is from 2009

Do not resurrect dead posts...

Re: All Game Properties Documented

Cernel
I was thinking to post in the "Please contribute to our WikiBook game manual", but not sure the wikia mattters with that too.

Guess anybody who knows how the artillery-in-classic is supposed to work is long dead...