A few scratches I was putting together

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
U-boat,  I don't necessarily plan on re-visiting every unit.  Certain units are already very well done and don't need to be screwed with (in my mind).

What I want to do is to take a complete list of the current units so that I can establish which pictures are either; not consistently coloured with their team, have differing levels detail, and units that seem to not be positioned squarely inside the frame.

As I go I want to try and make everything as consistent as possible.  There are a lot of other revisions that other people are working on that seem to be done really well such as Tatical Bombers,  new country specific units such as fighters.  I want to make a comprehensive list for myself and then share it with all of you and we can establish which changes you (may) want to include in new releases and those that may not work.  My biggest pet peeve is that some units look like an entirely different colour from other units of the same nation as well as those that look way to similar other units already.  Hence my work to differentiate the marine units from inf.  The rest of the work I'm doing is for the game units I have developed for my map.  I am hoping that if I can create interest by designing unit drawings then some of the developers might be motivated to make changes to the code to support what I want to do. ;)  It all comes down to basic selfishness ;).  But truthfully at the end of the day, I just want to help improve the game,  and if I can't code then I might was well try and create units that are needed for E40/p40 or any other map that has a need.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

junk2drive
I have been making mods for games for almost ten years. My rule is that I make something for myself first. Then if I think someone else might like to use it I share. If people don't like what I make, they don't have to use it and can move on. Along the way you will learn something and probably get some helpful advice for making things better.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

well,
i'd say download pacific 1940 as it stands right now
currently, the unit folder in there contains the most up-to-date images for the standard WW2 type games

if anything looks weird, feel free to fix it and show the results :)

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
I just wast and downloaded the full image file from the link you provided.  Its very complete.  Thanks.

I'll work from that.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
Ok I just finished rendering the harbour.

Also I did a bit more work tidying up the airfield.  Here is 2 new versions.

After this all the new revisions to this thread will be moved to the first post.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
For all who are interested all of the revised static units have been put into the first post of this thread.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

U-boat
you are missing the small and large factory_hit.

Also, which factory would you use? Big or small?

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
It was my understanding that the E40/P40 games had both small & large factories.  Is that not what I read in the other thread?  Two types of factories with different outputs.

And yes I realize that I'm missing the basic hit factories.  If those of you who are putting the game together want to use these images then its a quick and easy addition.  Just let me know.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

U-boat
Ah, see I'm not familiar with G40. I just know it puts the other two together. But yeah if you could add those, that would be great.

I added them just the same.  And I've added some new unit art.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
Just added a Air Transport units as well.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

U-boat
do we have a radar station property or is this for fun?

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
Just planting some seeds my friend!

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

U-boat
well then, let those seeds cultivate!

Amen brother!

Just added a few more things to the first post.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
So I've included some new units in the first post of this thread.  But I wanted to get some feed back regarding how the paratroopers are operating.

I made the air transport because I remember reading somewhere that it was causing problems to have bombers with multiple functions (while also being unrealistic).  So my solution was to make a separate unit that transports a new separate unit paratroopers/ advanced scouts.  I figured this would simplify making the tech work better.

Here is the American version

Here is the German version

I have no idea if this helps but it would make a lot of sense.

The air transport could be made to be cheaper than a bomber  and the paratrooper/adv. scout could be weaker then regular infantry (except when being dropped from an air transport [similar to marines])

This is how I mapped it out
                   cost      Move    Att    Def   Trans cost Trans capacity
Air transport     6         6        0          0        2(carrier cost)     2

Paratrooper      2         1        1*        1         1                      NA

* paratroopers receive a +1 or +2 bonus when attacking a terr. from an air transport as a way to account for the surprise element  of these types of operations.

Obviously the costs may need to be changed depending on which mod(s) they are put into, but the theory should make putting these into the game easier (I hope).  That is if I understood the issues relating to making these work properly.

Anyway if some one who is working on the paratrooper issue can let me know whether this is a worthy endeavor then I will continue to make units for each of the teams.

Also if those of you working on the G40 game can let me know whether you like or want any of the tactical bomber revisions I have made and what, if any, others you need or would like, then please let me know.  I have a fair amount of free time over the holidays but I'd like to know these will have a good home and will be used should I spend more time creating them.

Thanks, Hepps

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

I was just tool'n around trying out the P40.  Here's another addition to the available resources.  It looks fantastic by the way.  Very sharp looking.  How ever without many of the rules it is edit central.  Anyway I made something new.

And here it is with a blue background

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

Pulicat
Hep,

The art looks gorgeous. I just can't wait to use the boys from the 101st Airborne or the vaunted German Fallschirmjäger.

Puli
how now brown cow?

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
Good Times my friend.  I'm stoked as well.

I've completed three more paratrooper units as well,  but I wasn't sure whether any of this was for any reason at all.  No one responded as to whether I should keep making units or not. (I'm probably going to anyway).

Side note to anyone following this thread.  Just putt'n it out there.  Is there an easy way to uniformly change the colour of a unit drawing?  I've been changing the units to an approximate shade (of the team I'm making) and then opening an existing unit I already have and copying the individual shades to correct the overall colour.  There has to be an easier way.