A few scratches I was putting together

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
Ok so there we go.  Here are the new units with damages added.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

junk2drive
Much better. I like them.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

Bernie
Nice work, hepster.
Careful with the shadows though: they kind of go into all directions for the marine, instead of one, like for the original. The original also looks a bit more sharp.
But all in all, thumbs up for the concept of having the unit more distinguishable by using a different position.
And Airfield and factory look very nice.
Am sure pulicat, sieg and Veqryn could throw in some good detail hints too, as they all are experienced with making/modifying units.

"crystalct" used to be THE unit wizard here, with the most experience. You can probably get some good ideas by checking out his posts - or maybe even contacting him. His profile is here:
http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/Forum#nabble-td4573635|a4574178

"Dan Slayer" also provided some very well done units made by him and/or his buddy. German BigArmor in NWO, and some of the Armored Cars are good examples of his work. He hasnt been around lately though. His profile is here:
http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/Forum#nabble-td4147122|a4147618

Hope that helps jump-starting you to be TripleA's new unit wizard ; )

Regards,
EB

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
Thanks.  I'm sure I'll get better at things like shadowing as I have more time to putter around with this new toy.  Bear in mind that I've had Paint.Net for something like 10 hours.  I just got so damned excited that I started playing around with a bunch of units I had some idea's about.

I'll probably create a whole slew of adaptations and then others can help with some of the detailing or give me some suggestions on what might look better.  I want to help where ever I can, so if I can make new/revised unit pic's then at least I feel like I'm contributing.  As I get better I'm going to attempt doing some relief work.

As An example, here is the next unit I altered;  German marine using a MP40 and carrying a Panzerfaust.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

KirK
wow! great job:)
Set phasers to KILL!!!

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

U-boat
Can you tell me how to draw. I'm good at art by hand, but how do you do it on the compy? Is it from scratch? Nice work man.

btw I've seen your avatar in this WWII book I have. I think it's famoso.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
Hey u-boat,  I'm the same as you.  This is actually the first time I've ever started to try and transfer my skills from the archaic pencil and paper format to the new sexy computer work.

junk2drive was the one to put me onto paint.net.  Its a wee bit tricky to learn how to use some of the features, but once you get used to where all the controls are (and how to use them) its actually quite easy.

As for the stuff I've made in this thread so far, most of it is just alterations to existing pictures that are already in the games.  With the paint.net program its actually very easy to change and move things.  The real challenge (I'm guessing)  will be trying to create units from scratch.  I will be trying that as soon as I feel like I've exhausted all the changes I've wanted to see to some existing units.

I will gladly take requests as well.

Cheers

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

i too like Paint.net, and used it for almost all of my drawing, editing, map making, etc.
another program to use is GIMP, but i only use it for shadows and plugins (it is free, but not user friendly at all)

the best is of course photoshop, but i don't want the illegal version and can't afford the pay for version.

btw, paint.net has a large number of amazing plugins out there. just google it, and you will find a million usefull ones.

I'm the same.  Some time I'm sure I'll get photoshop,  but its just not in the budget currently.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

junk2drive
Well if you are taking requests...

For Vietnam and later a M113 APC and a Huey type helicopter.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

Here's a quick rendering.  Let me know if it works for you.

Its a bit wilder than the 45 X 45 but most of it is transparent.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

Oh and I had just finished the revision of the U.S. marine

That may come in handy for a Vietnam senario.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
And as it might also be useful for your scenario, he's the newly designed mortar unit for the U.S.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hep, these are awesome,

i really like your improved factory, and your airfield,
do you think you could do a naval port / navy base in the same style?
and maybe clean up the aircraft / runway a little bit in your airfield,
i think i could use them for global 1940 if they look good.

also, you could post all of your pictures to the very first post, that way everyone can conveniently download them all from there (just click edit, then add them in).

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
Sure.  I've redone almost all the marines now and created mortar units for about half the teams we currently have.

I'm going to spend what ever free time I have trying to complete all of them and then I'll post everything all at once in the first post.

So far I've done (to varying degrees):

Marines
mortar / Hvy. Inf.
Frigate
Escort carrier
Hvy. cruiser  ( slight modifications )
Battleship  ( slight modifications )
Trench ( lvl 1)
Bunker ( lvl 2)
Bunker & Trench (lvl 3)
Small Factory /  Small Tech Factory / Small tech factory hit
Large Factory / Large Tech Factory / Large Tech Factory hit
Airfield / Airfield hit

I have plans to make:

Harbour / naval port
Radar Station
Recruitment centre

Out of curiosity,  where is the most current list of all the units.  I down loaded one a while ago but I'm really not sure whether or not its 100% up to date.  If anyone has a link or something let me know.

Thanks, Heps

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

junk2drive
Yes these will be fine. Good job for such quick work.

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

U-boat
A list of the units used for the WWIIvX games? Or for everything else. People have made tons and tons. I have a Unit Compile on my site but it's outdated, and the coloring isn't all that good. I plan on making another soon and would like to include your updated images.

Do you plan on updated all of the units for AA games?

Inf
Art
Arm
AA-gun
factory
bb
dd
cruiser
tranny
CV
sub
bomber
fighter

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hi hep,

i know of 3 people who tried to create zip files containing all unit art that had ever ever been made for triplea.

i took those, combined them, then added all the units from all the maps on the repository

you can find it here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/developer%20resources/units/
(i hope to add your stuff to the mix when you are done)

also, may i caution against putting flags inside units.  it ruins the ability to use them in different maps where the flag may not apply.  stick to colors.  (also, if you are only making 1 of a particular unit, do it in color, not in greyscale [like germany] because it is very hard to add color in, but very easy to change something to black & white, and also it is very easy to change the hue of a colored unit to a different nation, while incredibly difficult to do so with a greyscale image)

Re: A few scratches I was putting together

hepster
Veqryn,

Yeh,  I kinda figured putting the military symbols inside units might be a bit of an issue.  I was just puttering around with ideas.  I kinda realized after that it may be difficult to use them after if different symbols are chosen to represent a particular country.  It was just an idea to add a little something to stuff I was spit balling.  I have since abandoned that avenue.

And as far as the colour issue,  I became aware of what your talking about the day before yesterday when I figured out how to re-colour units.  When using gray scale it really screws up the the highlights and boarders of the units in comparison to simply changing the hue.  Figured that out the hard way.

Thanks for the link.  I wanted to see the most complete file to see which units are already reworked.  Then I can focus on the most important deficiencies first.