A different take on Ultimate world

hepster
Having read the new threads on revisions to the Ultimate world, I thought I'd share a map I am finishing off that is a bit more detailed.  The scope of the game is expanded some what (pretty much every where) and the idea is to try and create some new rules to suit the maps design.  But for the time being I want to move forward with the map and create a game with what ever existing rules are available with hopes of modifying it if code changes could eventually be made.

Take a look and if any of the skilled individuals who can make things happen want to see more of what I've already put together then I can elaborate on more of my ideas.

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

hepster
Here is a better view

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj177/hepster_01/Globalprogress3withallplacementsnames.png

(if this works) you should be able to look more closely at the map.

FYI  this is a copy of the map that includes the names of territories and other icons for my reference when the time comes to make the game using map creator program.

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

ice
looks great, as a fan of revised rules i would love them with lets say nwo/trs units, but looking to the future it may be better if you take the aa50 ruleset since the engine is desined for that now.

looking forward to playtest it

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

hepster
I'm looking forward to getting it to that point.

There are a lot of things that this version is designed to work with.

1) the combat is designed around D10 dice because of new units as well as a way if providing more variability in unit strengths.

2) New units. I have included a variety of new units to accompany the board, such as light armor, Hvy armor, AT inf., mech inf., dive bombers, air transports, light art., hvy art., frigate, escort carrier, radar station, harbours, air bases, redefined bunkers and more.

3) includes convoy routes for both Axis & Allied teams (though the Allied routes are more extensive).

4) New tech development aimed at reducing the game ending effects of some current techs as well as adding more subtle new ones.

5) New rules dictating neutral countries and how occupation of them are dealt with by both powers.

6) Dramatically different initial game set up.  ie.  Poland, Latvia, Lithuania & Estonia are an independent team that is always played by AI and are un-affiliated to either the Axis or Allies so that both Germany & Russia may attack them at the outset of the game (necessary if rules regarding neutrals can be implimented).

The idea is that if there is enough interest within the community to try and work on some or all of these idea's then I will continue to post more of the specifics of what I have already developed to try and make them a reality.  Otherwise I aim at trying to get the game playable with whatever existing rule sets we have available.  The main problem is that I have idea's, but absolutely no skill at making the necessary changes and my limited attempts at using the map creator program have resulted in error after error message (most likely because of my skill no doubt).

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

ice
hmm those ideas are nice but i think reallyyy unnessesary for a huge map, most people will have hard enough time to get used to that size, making extreemly complicated rules will scare people off im sure

hope you keep things simple from start, and if the map gets popular you can always try those things

hope this helps

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

i assume you have a bigger sized map that doesn't come with all the red and black markers on it?  in order to make a map, you need a map with no marks on it, just the territory borders and everything white, black, or ocean-colored.

have a go at the map creator,
and at least to start, just try to get simple rules going.  if you try to make a complicated map on your first attempt you will fail.
the goal here is just to get something that RUNS
after you get it running, then you can start messing with things like the rules and tech and ai players, etc.  and I can help you with this too, but I need you to do all the steps in the map creator before i can start helping you.

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

hepster
Thanks guys, that was the plan,  create the map and get it running using specific existing rules, units etc.  Then after it is playable, try and implement some of the idea's.  My plan is to create a basic version.  Find balancing issues,  find any possible flaws in the map design as it pertains to playability (if any ;) I have spent a great deal of time mapping out potential moves and unit movement) and then look at how to implement new rules.

Veqryn,  I had put this in the first post, but the map I posted is a duplicate I made to put in all the details in so that I have a labeling and placement guide while I am building it with the map creator.  I have another version where I have all of the game starting units as well.  I've learned (the hard way) that better preparation makes using the map creator a less stressful endeavor.   The actual map has only the territorial outlines on it. :)  I've played around with map creator enough to realize that even one misplaced pixel is enough to make me want to drink a 40 of rye on the rocks in one sitting! ;)  I made the map using microsoft  paint and the actual size of the map is 8574 X 4240 (the maximum size for the paint program) so I think it should be large enough.

I realize that with all of the things I want to implement this would in no way be a learner game.  The idea is to create a highly advanced game with a tremendous amount of variability so that player strategies can vary immensely depending on what teams decide they want to do or if battle results dictate a change in strategies.  I created the map with the idea that expanding out everything provides players with a better chance of recovering from disastrous turns.  I am a huge fan of epic scale games.  As an example, when I made this as a board game the map was 5' x 9'!  LOL really unruly, but we had great times test playing it!  The wife was just alittle more than unhappy when the dining room became my war zone!

On a side note, do we had any idea when the new map creator 2.0 will be use-able?

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

ya, speaking of 1 misplaced pixel, when i was making pacific 1940 there were a couple green pixels close to singapore.  the map creator kept failing and it took me a long time to figure out why.  i still can't figure out why there were green pixels on a 3 color map, but w/e.
map creator 2.0 won't be done for a long time, but the current map creator is more than sufficient.

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

hepster
LMAO!  I did the same thing the first time I tried to make this using MC.  Because the original map was coloured as a board game I had random trapped pixels all over!  I ended up deciding to just remake the entire map instead of trying to track them all down.

I recently re-installed it so I'm sure I have the most up-to-date version. v1.0.1.5

I am still detailing the American coast in the pacific  and the Australian coast, then it will be complete.

Quick question.  I have noticed on other maps that coastal lines are thicker than territorial divisions.  Is this necessary for the map creator program to work or is it just artistic.  I did not make my coastal divisions thicker.  Please tell me I don't have to go back and change the map again!

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

entirely artistic

I tend to prefer maps where the territory divisions are exactly 1 pixel, and have no jagged edges.  then I try to do some anti-aliasing with the relief tiles.  However, whether you do 1, 2, 3, or 10 pixel thick territory borders is entirely up to you.  You can also vary the territory borders in case you want to highlight some area, like making the coastal territory borders 1 pixel thicker.  Again, totally up to you.

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

hepster
Oh Thank God!

When you say no jagged edges do mean having every thing rounded?  My map has a great deal of detail.  I have spent a huge amounts of time ensuring there is the maximum amount of detail without creating jutting lines into territories that seem to create huge problems for the map creator program.  Here is a close up example of the detail I refer to...

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj177/hepster_01/closeupeurope.jpg

Will this level of detailing create issues for the map?

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

ice
looks very detailed, but to give you some advise on that border between south norway/sweden and north norway/sweden, its not a very good strategical border since it will be like stratego the boardgame, you go left i go right etc. better to connect south sweden to north norway for example or visa versa

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

it shouldn't create any problems,
just remember you can select multiple things in the map maker by holding ctrl (just read the instructions)

also, since this is a completely new map, you might want to think of a name for it, since it isn't ultimate world

good luck

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

Thanks Ice,  I had already removed almost all of the "4 corners" connections from the map.  I agree that the back and forth situation s can be silly.

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

Yah Veq,  I've already been brain storming some potential names.  Haven't found one I love yet.  Not a major issue for right now.  Still a lot to be done.

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

ice
World At War

it was a small usercreated expasion to a en a classic boardgame, the name never got used for tripple a as far as i can remember and its a pretty cool name i think.

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

ice wrote
World At War
Try to find names that aren't already trademarked.  This will allow us to potentially include the map with the engine.

Matrix Games already has a game by that name: WorldAtWar  Though the name is used elsewhere, Call of Duty expansion, a flash game, a user created online game, Time Life DVD series, etc... I'd prefer to proactively avoid future legal troubles.

Thanks!
kev

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

hepster
That has been the challenging part.  Finding a name I like without plagiarizing some existing name.  Not to worry Kev what ever I end up with will be usable for the engine.

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

People shouldn't be allowed to trademark Common English Words and Phrases!  Especially if it is 3-4 words or less.  Hmfff!

Re: A different take on Ultimate world

hepster wrote
1) the combat is designed around D10 dice because of new units as well as a way if providing more variability in unit strengths.

2) New units. I have included a variety of new units to accompany the board, such as light armor, Hvy armor, AT inf., mech inf., dive bombers, air transports, light art., hvy art., frigate, escort carrier, radar station, harbours, air bases, redefined bunkers and more.

4) New tech development aimed at reducing the game ending effects of some current techs as well as adding more subtle new ones.
1. TripleA does not support anything other than D6.

2. Why do you need so many unit types?

3. The tech rules are hard-coded for the most part.
12