Quantcast

A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

Al

A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

Al
Got my first map stable and a few playthroughs in today, so releasing it.  I'm a novice at both TripleA and A&A in general, so am looking for feedback.  It is a 12 player FFA.

v1.0: http://www.sendspace.com/file/s1n6uq

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

Zim Xero
stunning map! I was wondering why the zip was so huge.  No time to play it now, sorry.

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

Neat.  Nice map I like that it looks like a parchment map.

Terr. and S.Z. divisions could be done in a more pronounced way but it looks good.

Didn't spend a great deal of time playing but it is nice to see a functioning Game of Thrones game working.

Each battle has casualties, however it is only the victor who's losses are acceptable casualties. Dying in defeat, is dying in vain.
Al

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

Al
I started with a large image (taken from google) for the map and have since been too scared to shrink it for fear of messing something up.  I'd like to scale it down if possible, there's really no reason for it except I didn't know any better.  In this day and age ~50mb of bandwidth isn't all that much though.  Some of my first thoughts from playing it myself is that I need to add more, smaller territories, maybe like 30%-40% more.  I want to get more experience with this map before messing with the map that much because that'll be a lot of work.
Al

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

Al
What do you mean by pronounced?  The "true" territory lines are the actual map, so I would just increase the relief image opacity by a bit more.  The map is functioning... but there is still a lot for me to learn and add.  There isn't a 20 unit cap, right?  Or at least it was in an old version of TripleA.  My map maker stopped adding blanks about there, and Google showed at least one version having a maximum of 20 units.  Luckily I've learned enough about the XML file to edit it without having to go through the map maker programs each time (one of them reset my XML file after the first time I finished it which s.u.c.k.e.d. but I've learned to backup better).

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

hepster
What I mean is that with the map details on you cannot distinguish between terr. ownership except to look at colour of the units contained within each Territory.  The other thing I was saying is that the division lines are a fairly neutral light brown and since the entire map has a beige-ish hue the divisions are not really all that pronounced.

As a test, what I did was reassemble the relief tiles into one image, set the transparency to 60% and then broke the tiles up again and replaced them in the game folder.  Now I can see enough of the team colour through the relief tiles that I can easily distinguish territory ownership (and thus the divisions as well) at a glance.  I just took a moment and also made a terr. marker for Baratheon.

Just some food for thought for you.  As I know that there are plenty of people eager to see a good GOT game.

Each battle has casualties, however it is only the victor who's losses are acceptable casualties. Dying in defeat, is dying in vain.

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

Rolf Larsson
Map style is very interesting, good job on "importing the image like this" I guess.
The map is really big, given the fact that there is a lot ocean, where probably not much is going on.
I wouldn´t shrink the map, you can think about bigger and better looking units. I am sure there are already Game of Thrones tabletop figures available.
Bigger rivers could be made seazones maybe. Terrain modifiers could be interesting. You can also think about some new way of defense with walls and borderforts.
Most important maybe is the question, how good is the AI if included or put differently: Will there ever be 12 players around to play the map?
There are many ways to make the AI better, boost it or trigger certain things for it, but probably never a challenge for a human player, so You can consider some neutrals, fixed alliances(haven´t followed the novels long enough to know if there are some that never changed) etc.
Good luck, this project looks very promising for a first map making attempt, just don´t give up improving and supporting it early on. Check other maps for ideas to incorparte and don´t be afraid to grap everything you like.
We now have custom dice!
Al

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

Al
I'm still playing through the Westeros players to get a sense of how that continent plays, then I'll release another version with a few fixes and balance changes.  After that I plan on redoing the map to add ~1/3 more territories.  Beyond that there are no plans, as it's dependent upon my interest in continuing the map further.  Custom units would be straight baller though, as I pulled all mine from the LotR map that came with TripleA and they're kind of lackluster.  I had more units planned initially, but ran into problems adding them all.  Can anyone confirm if there is a unit cap (I've read 20 in an older post)?

Many of the other things you outline seem too advanced for me at the moment.  I've never played TripleA online, and only played a few maps in total before starting on this project.  The AI is very exploitable in this FFA, but I haven't tried the income bonuses as a solution yet, or alliances.  Alliances wouldn't fit the spirit of the map if they have to be static.

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

Mike P.
Not Sure if it is my computer or the map but Stark and the Freefolk look nearly identical (both are grey). I'm playing it on an old laptop so it is possible the map is fine. I was confused when I tried playing it as Stark.

Otherwise it is quite awesome.
Al

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

Al
I had them as the same color to the game engine, but their units were the correct color.  I've fixed that and a few other aesthetics, including adjusting the relief transparency to look quite nice.  I've also done my first balance sweep, though I got kinda lazy on the central Westeros players (especially looking for feedback on what to do with Tully).

These changes culminate in version 1.1, which is definitely playable and hopefully enjoyable!

v1.1: http://www.sendspace.com/file/kmrl8o

I plan 1.2 to be mostly a map update, adding ~33% more territories and changing some for strategic reasons.  Initially I mostly made territories based off major ASoIaF locations and then geography, which has led to problems such as T1 Dothraki charges across the Dothraki sea and Freefolk being pigeonholed because there is no way south without going through Winterfell.

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

very very nice map,

i must say though that the territories are HUGE and a single territory can cover my entire screen on my laptop

forget 33% more territories, you could probably cut each territory you have into 4 territories and they would still be big (400% more territories)

i would definitely at least double or triple the number of territories on the map

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

Mike P.
I played through two games on the first version (once as Stark and once as Targaryen) and both times for whatever reason it crashed when I tried to invade "Yeen" (the island way on the bottom right). It was a weird error in that the game still ran, but the map did not update troop positions. I saved, exited, and reloaded and it was fixed. Weird.

Anyway, I had a thought about adding in The Wall. Since the Nights Watch is a neutral force and can not support any king/house could you add a neutral territory there full of defensive troops? This will stop Stark/Freefolk from running a cold war (pun intended) and allow them to actually attack others. It would make the Freefolk need to build boats and might make them even more stuck but it would be more accurate to the world.

I'm a bit new to AAA, but is there anyway to add in alliances or teams?

For the teams I've played as it seems excellently balanced. Keep up the good work!!!
Al

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

Al
You tried to invade Yeen as Stark?  :)  If you can remember the error, I could fix it, but I don't think I've experienced it and I've played as Targaryen and taken Yeen (t1 raft anyone?).

I've done exactly as you suggest and added in The Wall as a neutral choke point.  I've also added more territories along the east coast of the north so it's possible for the Freefolk to get south without having to take Winterfell.  Building any boats on the west of Westeros scares me with the Greyjoys, but I have built a small navy as Freefolk on the east coast to go after Ibben.

I'm new to AAA myself, and will be looking into more advanced thingys in future versions.

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire v1.0

Mike P.
This post was updated on .
haha yeah I'm a bit of a perfectionist and won't end the game until I have conquered every single area.

I'll try it out on the new version and see if I get the error.

Also, whatever Yeen issues I was having have gone away on the new release.
Al

1.2

Al
This post was updated on .
Here's 1.2!! It plays a lot differently than the old version because of the territory reworking I've done.  This map is less balanced than 1.1 though, as I've only played a few games so far.  I'm enjoying it, though, so am going to post it before further polishing.

ASoIaF v1.2: http://www.sendspace.com/file/5i4cli

edit: fixed zip/folder name

Re: 1.2

Zim Xero
looks good.  You need to get rid of the "stable" from your zip and folder name to make the game load though.

Re: 1.2

Gedrin
Your map is fantastic.... I have played Triple A of and on for years now.... but never posted
I liked this map enough to come out of lurking. :)

As for the balance issue... well I looked at the map and thought the Wildings had it pretty easy....
I played it against all the other houses using More N Able AI and won.
so I decided to run simulations with everyone using more n able AI
4 runs... 2 wins for the Wildings 1 for Targaryen and 1 for Tyrell
Targaryen always won in Essos although it is close to balanced.
Tyrell always won in South Westros
The Wildings always walked over Stark like they were not even there.
Pyke was always annoying to the end but nothing more [they are hard to attack not worth much].

Suggestions.  Give Stark a little more.
Weaken Targaryen a little [not much]
Weaken Tyrell a little.
Those through the middle need quite a boost... ie Lannister, Tully, Arryn, Baratheon...
The do a lot of fighting amongst themselves which saps their starting units that Tyrell just walks over them.

Of Course in an all human player game it would be very different.
Everyone would/should leave Stark alone to deal with the Wildings initial units and only then start to raid them.
Those through the middle should/would ally to kill Tyrell before they try to kill one another.

But the essence of balance is to make so such alliances are not "no brainer" do this or you will simply die decisions.

I do plan to run more all AI sims but... since in all 4 runs its really turned into a 3 player game [Wild/Tyr/Targ] it seemed to be worth mentioning.

Re: 1.2

ice
personaly i think that ballancing a game on ai movement isnt the smartest thing to do, personaly i suggest testing the map with real players and ballance upon those experiences

very good looking btw

Re: 1.2

Gedrin
Oh I agree...

I admit that it really only validates obvious imbalances that take little skill to capitalize on.

Re: 1.2

Rolf Larsson
Any work going on here?

Politics seems a must have, with instant betrayel and backstabbing your allies!
Take a million of notificationimages for events from the novels, custom sounds (maybe cover Rains of Castanmere song)....

Just played a little vs. AI, no clue about balance so, but I wonder why is this map not in the repository?
If the balance is at least ok and I would know that there is still beeing worked on this map, I would place it directly to quality maps, give you a few days to answer, otherwise it will be experimental only.
New stuff like color the unitamount seems good here, too.
We now have custom dice!