2013 TripleA Donation Drive

Welcome to 2013 Donation Drive for TripleA engine development.

It is amazing to see how far we have come in only a few years.  TripleA has gone from a game engine primarily used to play only two games (Revised and AA50) to a game engine with hundreds of different games.  I have put in literally thousands of hours of work to get TripleA to allow for new types of games, such as Global 1940, and even more complex ones such as Total World War.  And I hope to continue contributing to TripleA well into the future, adding new features, improving the user interface, and making everything better.

Please support us!

The donation will be primarily done by PayPal, but if you do not have PayPal let me know and we can accept other ways like a check or direct deposit, etc.

These funds will go towards the following:
  *  Future work and development on the Engine
  -  -  Get TripleA to run 1914 World War 1 game rules.  Make the map as well.
  -  -  Continue to improve support for 1940 maps and all other maps until they are perfect.
  -  -  Support future A&A maps.
  -  -  Continue to make TripleA able to support any kind of game we want to play.
  -  -  Get TripleA to play Risk! and other boardgames.
  -  -  More features for the lobby, a better lobby in general.
  -  -  Try to get someone to change TripleA to allow hosting with port forwarding.
  -  -  More engine features, better battle calc, a shot clock timer, more UI features and shortcut, etc.

  *  Time spent already on developing the Engine
  -  -  Version 1.7.0.0 release of TripleA is just a few weeks away!
  -  -  TripleA is no longer just about A&A.  I have spent hundreds of hours making TripleA a general game engine that allows far more customized maps, such as Total World War.
  -  -  TripleA now plays all three 1940 maps including Global 2nd Edition, as well as the new 1942 2nd Edition.

  *  Time spent on Promoting and Advertising of TripleA
  -  -  We are now on Desura and also on CNET among many other websites.
  -  -  I will apply for us to be on Steam and/or Origin.
  -  -  I maintain all these website accounts and keep their copies updated.

To give some idea of the amount of work that has happened since TripleA 1.5.2.1 was released 1 year ago, consider the following:
  *  Since 1.5.2.1 was released, there have been around 500 code commits to the engine.
  *  For the past year, I have spent, on average, around 20 hours per week, sometimes more, working on the TripleA engine.
  *  Right now this is basically a one-man show, with me doing almost everything.

How to Donate:
To donate, just click on the link below to donate via PayPal.
http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=44492

Any person who donates will get a special "gear" symbol by their name in Sourceforge, IF they have registered a SourceForge account before donating.  You do not have to register first, you can donate anonymously (most people donate anonymously).

If you do not have PayPal, please let me know by posting here or by emailing me, and we can discuss other ways to donate.  My email is: VEQRYN {at} Hotmail [dot] com

(Started on April 26, 2013.  Last update April 26, 2013)

List of Donators:

If you previously donated since the start of 2013, please let me know and I'll add you to the list.

Again, the link to donate is: http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=44492

Many thanks,

Re: 2013 TripleA Donation Drive

Odesa
Veq,

Done.  I was glad to read that most donations were anonymous so it's good to know the game site is not completely neglected as far as its members go but I thought I would post to challenge everyone else to contribute especially if you play the game as much as I do.

I contributed last year as well and this year my contribution is in honor of Veq for his outstanding work and Rolf and Hepps for releasing Total World War.  Hope Bung keeps us on a server!

I won second prize in the Smalls tourney or one of them but I don't have a paypal account so Smallman still has my prize money.  I'd be happy if he comes around to have him donate that as well.

Finally I challenge everyone to give something even if its the smallest amount to keep our small but great community humming.

Regards,
Odesa

Re: 2013 TripleA Donation Drive

tripleauser
I'd be happy to donate, but the game seems to be getting a lot slower and the AI hasn't improved at all.  The game is so slow now it's barely playable.  Any chance you could put some of those hundred hours into making it work faster or improving the AI.

I spend 10 minutes waiting for the enemy to decide something (on a very fast new laptop) and it decides to invade a neutral country instead of doing something useful.  Any chance this can be fixed?

Re: 2013 TripleA Donation Drive

Have you changed the "AI Pause Duration" setting?
It is in the "Game" menu, after you start a game.  Change it something low, like "50".

At any rate, the speed of the AI's has remained unchanged for the last 1.5 years, because nothing about the AI's has changed since triplea 1.4 (with the exception of bug fixes).

TripleA itself has sped up a modest amount in other areas over the last 2 years, but nothing that would have affected the AI's.

But getting down to the meat of the issue here:

TripleA is a multiplayer board game engine for playing against humans.

The AIs are nothing more than a training aid and/or novelty.

If you are not playing against humans, than you are missing out on basically everything that TripleA is.

No AI will ever be able to compete against humans on the maps we have without cheating quite a bit, and for a good number of maps even cheating won't help them win (Global 1940, TWW, etc).  In fact, most computer game AI's cheat like hell and still suck (think of the Civilization series for example).

I do not plan on investing any time at all in improving the AI's.
I already spent around 6 months doing that 2 years ago (from triplea 1.2 to triplea 1.4), and it required thousands of hours with very little to show.

So all I can say is this: play against humans.

Re: 2013 TripleA Donation Drive

ubernaut
yeah something must be wrong with your computer i think. i'm using a 4 year old bottom of the line mac book pro and the AI goes so fast you can barely watch it.

Re: 2013 TripleA Donation Drive

Stohrm
So, just out of curiosity: How successful was the 2013 drive?

Was there a 2014 Donation Drive and (if so) how successful was it?

Plus, is there a 2015 Donation Drive?

Etc. etc.

I have other questions as well; but they'll be asked elsewhere.

SK

Re: 2013 TripleA Donation Drive

it was fairly successful

however, i doubt it could be done yearly, at least not with the same success

there haven't been any specific donation drives since then, though people are always welcome to donate at any point in time